PDR Glue pulling. Serious warning!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am posting this story in the hope it will prevent someone having a serious accident.

I have a few dents on my car as many of us do, car park dings, supermarket trolley dinks, etc. So I decided to try the glue puller method and bought a cheap kit from Ebay. You stick the puller rod to the car with hot glue, put a bridge over it, tighten up the screw and this is supposed to pull the dent out. I read the instructions before starting work.

This kit came with a bridge made from a plastic material, designed to bend in the middle so that when the screw is tightened up, serious pressure is applied to pull the dent out. The bridge bends in the middle. So I glue the puller to the car dent, apply the bridge, tighten up the screw and expect to see the dent come out. Only it did not pull the dent out.

So I scratch my head and decide to go indoors for some coffee, leaving the gadget attached to the car panel. When I come out again, the whole gadget has disappeared. I discovered it in a garden 2 doors away. This thing is in no way aerodynamic so it must have had enormous pressure behind it to fly so far through the air. The point of this post?

I got to thinking what could have happened had I been standing close by when the glue bond let go. What if it had struck a child in the face? The thought made me shiver!

The instruction sheet that came with the kit made no mention that this could happen. So if you use this method to pull out a dent in your car, please be very careful. If I leave the gadget attached to the car now, I drape a heavy towel over it so it will not go far if it pops off.
#

Sponsored Links
Maybe the sun made something expand increasing the pressure until it broke free? Did your dent come out?

No mate, the dent did not come out. It was right on a seam. It is smaller than it was but still there. Did one on the offside rear door and that was a success. Cleaned up and there is no sign that a dent was ever there. So not a complete waste of money, time and effort..

Sponsored Links
Back