Pea shingle drainage question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is a trench next to my house that was put in by previous owners to reduce damp, I want to fill this with 20mm pea shingle. In local builders' merchants and DIY stores, the shingle comes unwashed – there is evidence of sand/silt in every bag. Does this negatively affect drainage?

Sponsored Links
You have two choices, put it in the bath and wash it, better still throw it in trench and let the rain and natural side percolation do the job for you. Will soon wash sand and silt to bottom. You can buy 10 ton loads direct from the pit and they will put the fire hose in back of lorry with back tipped up slightly to drain out, how ever they will charge you for water used and time lorry sits in quarry waiting to drain out before going on public highway.
Be sure to line trench with Geotextile terram before throwing shingle in other wise shingle will be full of top and sub soil in 12 months.
oldun ;)

The side of the trench is actually a concrete retaining wall. Only the base is earth. Can I do without terram?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back