Pebble drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on putting some pebble/slate over an area which couldn't be blocked paved (old stump present)

The area is very muddy when it gets wet.
Was planning on putting a membrane down with pegs and covering with pebbles.

I would like there to be good drainage of water away from.the house there. Would be grateful for any advice to effectively pebble this area taking into account the muddy ground below.
( Green conduit is internet)

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20220909_131319561.jpg
    PXL_20220909_131319561.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Hi I am planning on putting some pebble/slate over an area which couldn't be blocked paved (old stump present)

The area is very muddy when it gets wet.
Was planning on putting a membrane down with pegs and covering with pebbles.

I would like there to be good drainage of water away from.the house there. Would be grateful for any advice to effectively pebble this area taking into account the muddy ground below.
( Green conduit is internet)

Thanks
As long as water isn't pooling in that area, it shouldn't be a problem. Use a weed control fabric, not a waterproof membrane. The weed control fabric will allow any rainwater to drain away.

Your idea seems good to me, although you might consider the idea of a soakaway - if you have the space to dig...

Last edited:
Good thoughts, wondering whether to use some damp proof paint like this 1-2 bricks below the DPM and on the DPM.

Followed by pea gravel a weed membrane and black slate?

Sponsored Links
Looks like your bricks are blue engineering bricks, Black Jack will nothing, as the engineers will not soak up water anyway.

Good thoughts will go for some pea shingle , weed proof membrane on top with some black slate.

Is there anyway I can provide some strength below the pea shingle and membrane so that I provide a bit of a gradient away from house?
Would mot type 1 be over kill?

If you excavate away from the house to form a slope then use your pea shingle to fill the void water should naturally move away from the house. Obviously using your membrane and slate chippings on top.

Thanks for the replies excavating at a gradient is a good shout. The area is normally relatively dry I had been testing a drain with a hosepipe which is why it is wet :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back