River rock / Pebbles on bathroom wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wondering if anyone has any tips/advice on this :cool:

I am planning on renovating my bathroom/wetroom.
And want to use river rock pebbles, I already got the pebbles they are thin as slate, 2-3sq cm.

Only plan to put them on one wall which is approx 2.4m high by 2m wide... May break up the wall with vertical tiling in between the pebbles.

My question is about which materials I need to use. I'll putting up new plasterboard for them.
According to some videos on youtube, they seal the plasterboard first with waterproof sealant (pva?) and then use ordinary rapidset to apply the pebbles. Then they rollered the pebbles with some sort of tile sealant... I am guessing that this is to add extra waterproofing protection and to add a gloss shine to the natural stones... But I couldn't find this in topps tiles.

And then finally grout the finish with something like Bal Superflex Wide Joint Grout Limestone?

detail%20bathroom%20floor.jpg

Never tiled anything like this before, so if you have any tips/suggestions I would be grateful, thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did you look at this?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-water-repellent-seal-clear-5ltr/57474

I tiled a full chimney breast years back using welsh slate, and I was advised to brush on a liquid sealer, prior to sticking them on and grouting them, since the slate is porous and the adhesive and then the grout would only end up leaving a fine layer on the skin of the slate, as it was wiped off.

Wet wiping off any residue was a doddle, and the sealer left a shine to slates.

Not sure how you would seal the pebbles prior to starting the job, but it saves so much on time at the end.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back