Peeling Paint and Dodgy Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Long time lurker and first time poster here!

I've taken on a house renovation and have made it to the home straight; the painting....or so I thought.

I've run into a problem with two rooms on one side of the house only (house is an L shape). After giving the existing paint a light sand (it actually looked fine to the naked eye) I've uncovered what looks to be a lot of grubby looking crud all over the ceiling and on certain sections of wall. It doesn't feel wet or damp to the touch but it does have a different texture to the sound paint.

I've been in a hurry to get the rads on some quickly rolled some vinyl Matt behind the rad and ended up with a thin strip or the existing paint coming off on my roller.

Anyone ever come across this before and have any advice on how to proceed?

I was thinking giving it another sanding and clean up with sugar soap then use some peel stop over the bits I've taken off with the roller then do the entire ceiling and walls in a coat of Gardz or is that going to be overkill?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Promo-YouTube-YouTube profile picture (1).jpeg
    Promo-YouTube-YouTube profile picture (1).jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Promo-YouTube-YouTube profile picture.jpeg
    Promo-YouTube-YouTube profile picture.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 62
Sponsored Links
Too quick with recoat time and pulling off first coat maybe?
Or
Distemper is a problem on old properties and degrades over the years and at some point someone will paint and it will all come off as bond is totally lost.
Distemper is chalky and will wash off

How old is the house?

Is this in the kitchen?

How did you clean the surfaces?

Thanks for the replies. To answer your Q's:

The paint started to peel on the first coat so it was the old original paint that was peeling off rather than my first coat. I've fixed that issue by going over the problem areas with a layer of Gardz and touch wood it now seems sound.

The house was built in 94 so is by no means ancient but will have a read up on distemper, thanks!

The problem room is the living room (kitchen seems fine) and the walls were sanded then cleaned with a mix of sugar soap and water.

Incidentally there was an old fireplace in the room and parts of the ceiling almost look a bit like it's got a layer of soot on although there isn't that distinct damp sooty smell. I've gone over the walls with a damp meter and they all seem normal.

I've decided to paint a couple of patches; one with just paint then another with primer + paint to see how it holds up before committing to the full room. Typically it's the biggest room in the house with the issues!

Sponsored Links
What's above. Possible leak from bathroom or radiator effecting ceiling and running down cavity?

Bit of a coincidence that ceiling and base of wall problems

There's a bedroom above it but no rads on the wall. I've had a couple of boards up just to check for pipes but nothing there other than an odd electrical cable but no signs of any damage to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back