Paint not sticking and peeling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just started to decorate my mum's bungalow for her and noticed that after painting the walls, it's just not sticking and peels when dry.
It seems that it peels right down to the paint below that I was painting over.
I sugar soaped the wall and lightly sanded the wall but this has made no difference.
Not sure if it's the paint I'm using (Valspar) or if it's reacting with something.

I've attached some pictures to give an idea of what's happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

IMG_7040.jpg
IMG_7039.jpg

Sponsored Links
How old is the property?

Did you remove ALL sugarsoap residue?

Has PVA been used on the surface?

Has any grease been left on the surface?

Valspar isn't the great name it once was.

The property is around 1960's and a local authority property so it's been painted a number of times before she moved in so would assume it's been done on a budget with whatever paint was available.
I made sure I let the sugar soap dry and wiped it over as well as sanding it lightly.

The bit that puzzles me is that it's taking the previous coat off that I was trying to paint over as well so can only assume that coat hadn't bonded particularly well either.

I didn't PVA the wall as assumed I wouldn't need to due to painting over a previous coat.

So you are saying the previous coat is coming off too.

What is behind that? More old paint, or bare plaster?

Sponsored Links
yes it appears the previous coat is pulling away as well leaving what looks like an old 1970's looking green coat. Also noticed the wall started to "yellow" a bit when I sanded it so wondered if it was reacting to an old paint? Wondering of old paints were oil based or something along those lines?

It's possible the green paint is distemper, which could often be in some horrible colours. Emulsion cannot be successfully applied to distemper.

Distemper can be removed with warm water.

I've just started to decorate my mum's bungalow for her and noticed that after painting the walls, it's just not sticking and peels when dry.
It seems that it peels right down to the paint below that I was painting over.
I sugar soaped the wall and lightly sanded the wall but this has made no difference.
Not sure if it's the paint I'm using (Valspar) or if it's reacting with something.

I've attached some pictures to give an idea of what's happening.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this?

View attachment 203356 View attachment 203357
Is the yellow old paint or nicotine?

I didn't PVA the wall as assumed I wouldn't need to due to painting over a previous coat.

please don't put glue on any surface you hope one day to paint.

do you think there is glue under the paint?

That lifting might be glue or wallpaper paste or kitchen grime, if the wall was not scrubbed clean and rubbed dry.

Thanks for all the replies so far. The part that puzzles me is why it's taking the previous coat away as well. Guessing that is where the problem started but the previous person to paint it some how managed to get it to stick.

Any recommendations on how to solve the issue?

IMG_7039.jpg

Not an expert but had similar.
If only smallish areas are peeling I would:
Sand the flakes off.
Spray with zinnser matt primer (a shellac)
Let it dry
Then paint with your paint.

Note about sanding. If you are sanding old 1960s paint, treat it like it has lead. Use wet sanding, a mask and gloves and tidy up well.

Not an expert but had similar.
If only smallish areas are peeling I would:
Sand the flakes off.
Spray with zinnser matt primer (a shellac)
Let it dry
Then paint with your paint.

Note about sanding. If you are sanding old 1960s paint, treat it like it has lead. Use wet sanding, a mask and gloves and tidy up well.

Would it be worth putting some kind of primer all over as a precaution?
I've only painted one wall and a small section of another so far as I wanted to find a solution before carrying on.
I suspect all walls will be the same.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back