Peeling Paint from Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved into our house there had been a problem with the wall in the kitchen and the landlord has re-skimmed under the window.

When we move in, we painted the kitchen.

This wall has had issues with damp and moisture on the wall since we moved in, and recently the landlord has fitted 2x Airbricks and a Radiator to this wall.

We decided to paint the wall prior to the radiator being fitted, this time in white. We used bathroom paint which has anti-mould in there for 5 years.

Now, the paint is starting to bubble and peel in certain areas again also.

After doing a bit of reading, I think this is partly my own fault as this was bare plaster that I painted over.

1) I don't know if the plaster was 100% dry when we first painted
2) I know we painted straight onto the plaster with Kitchen Paint
3) We have had damp on this wall ever since and was always wet to the touch - so it may never have dried out.

What I would like to know is - have I made a right balls-up of this job or what? Is there a way to fix this so that it will stop peeling.

Is it a case of stripping the paint off the wall in the areas where the paint is bubbling/peeling and applying a mist coat to the patches, then applying the finish coat after its fully dried?
Or is there something else that needs to be done?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd leave it for a month and see what happens. The paint comming away because you didn't mist coat is a possible, but the bubbles could be penetrating damp.

Give the air bricks and radiator sometime and see if they do the job.

When it does come round to painting since you have a new rad you might get away with slacking off the rad to valve nuts, un hooking the rad and laying it away from the wall. Saves taking the whole thing off, just remember to support the rad with a tin / bucket / washing up bowl when it's tilted away- and re tighten the nuts in the laid down position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back