Peeling paint in kitchen and bathroom - Peel Stop and Perma-White combo to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'm dealing with peeling paint in two rooms.

The kitchen was painted prior to us moving in using Armistead Trade Contract Matt, which I believe should really only be used as a mist coat. The stuff stains easily and wipes straight off the wall. I painted over that with Leyland Hardwearing Matt, as advised by my local decorator's centre. It started peeling within days, taking the Armistead with it and showing bare plaster. We'd never had any peeling in the kitchen prior to that for several years, despite the paint being unsuited to use in the kitchen in other ways.

The bathroom never had the Armistead but a Dulux Bathroom paint, which did okay but after a year or two the humidity in the room results in gradual peeling on the exterior wall. There's an extractor fitted and we open the window, but there's only so much you can do.

My plan for both rooms is to sand all of the flaking paint and prep the surface as well as possible before applying Zinsser Peel Stop, then applying Zinsser Perma-White (tinted). One concern I have is that Peel Stop is a breathable sealer, whereas Perma-White presumably isn't as it protects against humidity. Is this combo okay to use and is it likely to solve the problem? I've used Perma-White over a mist coat in a humid basement property in the past and it was absolutely brilliant, so I'm hopeful it'll work here as well.

Other options I've read about are 123 and Gardz, but they don't seem designed for this scenario so I'm not sure that's the way to go.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back