peeling paint problem!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my living room skimmed back in april from ceiling to floor.

I had the fireplace bricked up too which had quite a thick layer of bonding coat applyed under the multifinish.

My problem is that i painted the room in may and all was fine apart from the fireplace.....it took months to dry and everytime i try to paint it , it peels off but only in the areas where the thick bonding is.

Just tried twice more over the weekend but is still peeling off.....i have pva'd it too.

Dont know what the hell is going on....can somebody help please

Sponsored Links
You can paint skimmed plaster as soon as it does pink, using a supermatt or contract paint.

But, when it comes to a bonding plaster like your fireplace, you are not supposed to apply any paint on it for approx 4-6 months.

The plaster on the bonding has to dry from the inside out, and if you paint it before its completely dry you will have trouble, like you have had.
Also, by adding PVA to the mix, you have shot yourself, well and truly in the foot. :cry:

Can you not try and scrape back the paint of the fireplace area, and where you have PVAed as well, you can buy a long handled scraper blade, that will take it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back