Peeling Paint Rendered Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiyas
We moved in 1 year ago and the last owners must have slapped unsuitable paint on the rendered wall that borders the lawn/patio as it's coming off in sheets. Behind the wall are raised beds/soil/plants.

Am unsure what can be done. I can't see the wall ever fully drying as there's soil behind it.
Obv I need to start by removing all the old paint. A lot is peeling off but some is still OK so need a way of removing that before it starts to peel.
There are some patches of rust where the wall was cornered..... can these be treated then painted over or do I need to treat and put more render on?
Finally it needs repainting. Is there a product I can put straight on or will it need priming with something to make the paint stick? Or a diluted mixture 1st coat to soak in?

Any comments or suggestions very welcome. Also, as this wall probs isn't going to fully dry ever, can it be painted after a few dry days?

Will try and post a pic...... yeah like that's gonna work........

Thank v much for looking

Sponsored Links
You might have moved house again by now, but for what its worth I don't think you'll successfully get any sort of paint to stay long term on a damp wall... Drilling some drainage weep holes through the wall every couple of feet might aid drainage and enable the wall to dry in the medium term. Perhaps facing it with something - brick slips or such-like - but even that might suffer a similar fate over time. Sorry!

How high are the walls?
Do they just border the patio like small garden walls?
If so then there is unlikely to be a dpc installed. You can try to install a dpc by cutting out the mortar between the second and third course a few bricks at a time and inserting small lengths, overlapping by a few inches with each successive insert. You would then have to allow the wall to dry out properly before painting.
Alternatively you could knock the render off and treat with a waterproof liquid before re-rendering.
Any corner beading needs treating with a sealer/rust block before painting. The render on corners tends to be rather thin and this is a common problem.

Sponsored Links
I've actually decided to cover it in decking boards and stain same colour as our actual decking. Quite a cheap fix really and should look pretty good with some low level lights included. Thanks for the replies.... as i thought really..... no easy way to sort just by painting,.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back