Penetrating Damp Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having some trouble with the back wall of our house, which is in the kitchen. I will include some photos to help show what the problem is.

In January, we had damp patches and peeling paint near the top of the wall. The cause was thought to be the external render that had come away from the brickwork. The whole of the back wall was striped and new render applied. The guys also applied a waterproof coating to the wall to help prevent water penetration.

We were told by a damp 'expert' that the wall would take one month for every inch of thickness of the wall to dry out. This was fine. We left the outside wall unpainted to help it dry out. However, the wet weather we've had this 'summer' probably hasn't helped.

Internally, the wall was stripped of paint and then left to dry for a week. It was then re-painted, but the paint discoloured and some (small amounts of) salt came through due to drying out.

In recent weeks, some new stains have appeared on the wall in a different area. On investigation of this, I decided to remove an old electricity box on the outside of the wall, near the new stains, as the new render was applied round this. Sure enough the old render behind the box was moist and smelled of damp. Shortly after this, the paint started flaking of badly and loads of salt came through (see picture).

I noticed yesterday that there is also a leak in the downpipe just where my new render meets my neighbour's old render. On top of this, the downpipe from the neighbour's conservatory is directing water to the ground just beside the downpipe, which I'm not to pleased about.

There is also another thing that I find strange. When it was raining the other week, wet patches appeared on the outside of the wall. They then look to have dried out a lot quicker than the rest of the wall once the rain stopped.

Some other points to note:
- Above the wall is a bedroom. The window is in the middle of the wall.
- The wall is solid, no cavity.
- House was built around 1920 and is in Central Scotland.

Would like any recommendations for what I can do and suggestions to help resolve the issues.

Should I paint the outside of the wall? If so, what type and brand of paint? Oil or water based?
I will probably fix the downpipe, but should I also suggest that my neighbour's conservatory downpipe flows into the drain?
Is there anywhere else I could look for clues as to whether or not the re-rendering has solved the problem?

New Area of Dampness:

New Area of Dampness (close up):

New stains gradually appearing:

Original stains:

Leaking down pipe, think the sealant in join has gone:

Neighbour's downpipe from conservatory:

Odd wet patches when raining:

Dried out quickly!?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back