perdiodic inspection - main earth and meter tails

S

scotteng

hi, just been to a customer who had a periodic inspection carried out and wants me to fix the faults found on it. The property is a ground floor 2 bed flat, meter is in the flat, main fuse is about 100 yards away at the other end of the building.
ok, the main earthing looks to be only 6mm, and is not pvc sheathed, just the old fabric type. The ze tests shows 0.16, which is well within for TNS system. But 6mm is well below regulations, would this need upgrading to make the installation 'satisfactory'? what recommendantion code should this be?
the meter tails are only 16mm, single pvc sheather, again not up to current regs.
No code has been put on the report or any recommendations to upgrade.....
your thoughts would be helpfull!
plus if the earth was to be upgraded, and ideas of how to go about it, as it runs through the cavity wall of about 4 other flats before it gets to the switchboard to the block of flats!!
cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Is the meter a DNO owned and operated one?

As this is in the flat, you would expect a fuse locally too, however, older communal buildings had all sorts of things done.

This said, if this meter is the DNO's, the cabling before this meter is not your responsibility, not owned by you, and not your problem ;) Your periodic is for your install - the meter onwards.

Does the earth have a henley block or terminal next to the meter? This would be the demarcation point from the DNO, if there isn't one it could be a little tenuous as to who is responsible for the earth.

there is a earthing terminal, the 6mm earth connected to it disappears into the wall and i guess back to the main buildings board, where the fuse is located.
I was unable to get access to the main fuse etc, neither was the last electrician to visit. Hoping i can get access on friday when im back again.
ive got a good ze and zs, all within regs. But due to the size of the main earth would it be classed as unsatisfactory on a periodic?

You may well get a good Ze if the earth was a 1mm!

It would be upto you to decide. If it is a PME supply, the NIC recommend it be corrected, and a code 2 would be recommended.

If it is a TN-S, it is deemed less crucial, and a code 4 could be considered.

As I say though. Who's cable is this? Are you sure it is part of 'your' install?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back