Perennial Plants May not survive after Snow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all
i need some advise please. after the heavy snow earlier this year, my perennial plants seem to have had it. please see pictures. is there anything i can do to help it back to life please? they were all green until the snow earlier this year in SE England. i think i should have been out there to shake the snow off them daily or something:unsure:. well i didnt and they dont look good now.
any advice is welcome. please see pictures and thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3515.jpg
    IMG_3515.jpg
    722.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_3516.jpg
    IMG_3516.jpg
    740 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 43
Sponsored Links
Leave them alone. They will recover with some sunshine and warmer weather. We need a few more weeks yet until we start to see the green shoots of spring. Once they start to show signs of life by all means tidy them up a bit but don't go too heavy with the secateurs.

Also I saw there were some labels in the garden beside each plant, look up how frost hardy they are on google.

There are only one or two plants that we take indoors or out of the frost.

I know some of the plants in our garden have been killed by the prolonged extreme cold spell. Cordyline was one of them. Also, over our allotment, the allotment manager grows and shows dahlia's and he carefully lifts them at the end of each season, dries the tubers and stores them in dry compost under some loose bubble wrap in a poly tunnel. Been doing it for years. He lost the lot this year due to the cold - they all turned to mush as did the gladioli bulbs of ours that I lifted and kept in my greenhouse.

Edit: Just looked up Cordyline and I see it’s part of the asparagacrae family so I may have lost all my asparagus plants over the allotment. Only time will tell!

Sponsored Links
@Mottie, many years ag, (about 15), I had a big cordyline in my back garden. Must have been 10' tall and was beginning to push the fence over so I decided to chop it down. It was very fibrous, and the centre was very moist, but got it down to ground level and then dug down another 12". After chopping/hacking and generally destroying the base so it wouldn't grow again I filled the hole with some compost and topsoil for planting anew the next year.
Next spring, I saw some green shoots poking up so decided to leave and see what happened. Within 3 years the cordyline was 5' high again!
I left it for the new owners when I sold the house.

Do you know what the plants are?
If they're non evergreen perennials they usually die back in the winter anyway so what you're looking at could just be last year's growth.
As others have said, depending on the plant they'll start getting new growth in the bottom soon .
I've lost my Tea tree (evergreen )plant this year. Think it was cold wind exposure rather than snow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back