Pergola / Privacy Screen Help Please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Our new neighbours recently bought the house next door, and cut down a tree that was giving our house (and their's) both privacy for well over 10 years, as we are both corner houses.

This is, and was, their perogative, as the tree was in their garden. I suspect the tree was originally planted well over 20 years ago to protect from this exact privacy issue/problem.

However, now the tree has been cut down, our privacy has now been severely limited.

So, what we are planning, is to build a pergola to hide their windows from looking directly onto our garden area where we sit, and our conversatory.

To give you an example, this is what it now looks likes looking directly out of our conservatory:

before.png

The tree (when it was there) covered the second 2 windows, and the first window will have frosted glass (they have told me this, as it is a bathroom).

So I was looking at corner pergolas, which I think will help with this issue, and have photoshopped one such corner pergola in:

pergola_possible_2.png

For the life of me, I cannot think of any other semi-permanent solution. We could also put some trellis on the far top post to close that off, and as we have a South facing garden, light will not be a problem with a corner pergola I don't think.

I don't think I would need planning permission having quickly checked (as long as the structure is not more than 2.5mtr, unless I am missing something, and I would need to get somebody in to design and built the specific dimensions.

So my query/question is:

Would you say the above is feasible?

Thank you for any advice, help.

Sponsored Links
Trellis with climbing plants maybe?

Trellis with close fitted, horizontal battens......they have a great contemporary look.

A row of big pots next to the fence with tall plants like bamboo.

Thanks for your comments, although as you can see on the picture, the area we have to work with on the decking area is 'extremely' small. Trellis would be far too low. On the picture I am actually bending down, so to get anywhere near the height to block those windows you are talking about 12 foot, hence the pergola, which will not only use limited floor space, but will give the height with the slats to block those windows.

I built a 3 x 3 m pergola a few years ago and planted some vines.
It provides great shade and I guess, privacy.

You can get a mat of brushwood intended as screening for fences but could roll it onto of the pergola

Sponsored Links
Definitely. I think your pergoda idea will fit the bill though

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back