Pergola project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm sure this must be tiring to some in answering these sort of questions, but I've searched and googled and bribed friends for information, but the answers I'm getting do not solve my puzzle.

So, here goes. I have a brand new house with a big yard. I live in Delaware Ohio where recently we had thunderstorms with wind gusts of upto 50Mph. We get lots of snow and during summers it gets plenty hot.

We've recently completed a 20x15 paver patio, and would very much like to build a pergola over it. Now, if you would imagine that the paver patio is 20 feet long and 15 feet wide, it's perpendicular to our house. I would like to build the pergola parallel to the house, meaning 20 feet wide by 15 feet across. The pergola and the patio would become a plus sign, so to speak.

My questions:

1. Using just 4 6x6 posts, how do I construct this project?
2. Is the standard here of 3 feet deep concrete post hole enough?
3. Would it be safe to build using simpsons tie cbsq (http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/cbsq.asp) for the posts?
4. How do I support either 2x10s or 2x12s across the 20 foot span? Metal braces?

I would like this to be an investment for the next 10 years or so. Thank you in advance for you valuable answer.

Sponsored Links
1. Using just 4 6x6 posts, how do I construct this project?

Is this a riddle? Sounds to me like you need more, but could work

2. Is the standard here of 3 feet deep concrete post hole enough?
Plenty
3. Would it be safe to build using simpsons tie cbsq (http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/cbsq.asp) for the posts?
I'd prefer the 3 feet of post under the ground idea.
4. How do I support either 2x10s or 2x12s across the 20 foot span? Metal braces?

Bolt through the joists into the posts with thick threaded rod/studding and washers/nuts.

Breaking up the twenty foot span with another post in the centre sounds like a better plan.
Or, move the posts inwards, so you have 4 feet overhang at each end, that way you only have a 12ft span.

I reckon 2x12's would be preferable to 10x unless you use additional posts.

Although I like the idea, I can't do it.

The new paver patio has been installed and is right where you're asking me to plant the posts.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back