Pergola Style Kitchen Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm building an outdoor kitchen and will put a Pergola style roof over it, either using wiggly tin or perspex.

However how well do you think the uprights need to be supported/how large?

The span between posts will be circa 3600mm, so pretty large, with 300mm cantilever either end. Probably end up with a knee joint I'd guess to reduce the span some.

Going to drop 4 uprights in, all within a 600mm deep(limitations of site) footprint.

Currently the thinking is between 100mm and 150mm square uprights, with 230x50 horizontals.

Rather than seat timbers in the ground I'll use these I think.. Simpson Strong-Tie CPT66Z, and set the m12 bolts upside down in the concrete when I pour. Will look to dig 600mm for an 2400mm post at front dropping to around 1800mm at rear.

Is strikes me as should be plenty larger enough to do the job (overkill). It'll be opened back, and is pretty sheltered from wind.

I guess questions are?
1. Would 100mm uprights be OK
2. What length M12 should I set in the concrete?
3. Is 600mm hole at around 200mm diameter sufficient for the support and plate?
4. Looking at other posts the span is borderline but with knee joints potentially reducing it to around could I get away with smaller timbers anywhere do you think?

Thanks
Adam

Sponsored Links
4x4 posts would be fine, but you could use bigger if you prefer the look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back