perhaps one for the DIY disasters section...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was drilling the holes for a shower screen when water shot into my face... I had hit a pipe that supllied the electric shower. I had checked using the pipe/wire detector and it had found nothing. Luckily i have DIY accidental damage cover, but i now have a shower screen i cannot put up as i will still need to drill fixing holes. Once the pipe is repaired could i put a batton in the wall, repair plaster and re-tile then screw into the batton using shorter screws? Any advice would be greatfully recieved. Thanks

Sponsored Links
here is a picture

Would one way to get around the problem would be to use a flexihose in the wall to go around where i need to drill. Would this be a very bad thing to do?

Just reposition the holes on the wall plate to avoid the pipe and cable.
Would not use a flexi which was to be plastered/tiled over.

How did your detector miss the pipe and cable?

Pete

hi, I have no idea how it missed them, perhaps the battary was low. I should perhaps test it round light switch first.... beginners mistake. Il know for next time. I just need to fill in the hole and retile now. Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Close call that.... just think - 1 inch to the left & bang!

i know it was a close call. I had isolated the supply at the fusebox just incase, which was a bloomin good thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back