Just drilled through a water pipe!! eek help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just accidentally put a drill through one of the copper water pipes leading to my upstairs radiator! :oops:

Action so far:

Turned off water at main by front door.
Opened downstairs hot and cold taps.
Opened the vent on the downstairs radiator and drained it into a bowl.

The above has stopped the leak but I am looking for some advice if possible about effecting a repair. I guess I am looking at putting some sort of joiner in the pipe to cover the hole? I have no idea how to go about refilling the central heating system afterwards.

*Sitting here hitting refresh and hoping for a kind soul to post some words* :D

Sponsored Links
you will need to cut the section of pipe out and replace with a new bit for a proper repair.

Had a chat with a mate and he's going to solder a piece in for me tomorrow. Off to the shops now to buy some inhibitor to refill the system.

Any hints or tips on refilling systems gratefully recieved :)

It's a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
If it is in a straight piece of 15mm, that would be a good fix.

p1081331_l.jpg

Soldering pipes that are not perfectly dry does not work. It is surprisingly difficult to dry out pipes that are in place and have had water in them.

When you drained it, was the water black with sediment in it? If so, this is a good opportunity to give it a chemical clean and flush before you refill with inhibitor.

edited

you also need a pipeslice or other small-space cutter

p4053233_l.jpg

The boiler was replaced about 6 months ago so nice clean (slightly yellow) water. :)

:LOL: ........he said it`s a combi.......nice one tho` ;)

Surely a small hole can be soldered over, as long as the copper is clean.

And before the purists moan, I saw one my old man did for my uncle 35 years ago and its still absolutely fine.

You cant do that with plastic!

If its tight and you dont wanna patch it, make up a slip socket (end feed).

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back