Periodic Inspection and Test - What's it all about?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just had a quote of £150+VAT from a company to carry out a Periodic Inspection and Test on Existing Circuitry and I have a couple of questions which I would very much appreciate someone answering:-

1. Is this a fair price?
2. What exactly should they do for this fee?
3. How long should it take them?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Who has asked for the PIR? What is the reason?

And the main question? What type of property and what size!?

The PIR is for a small extension I am having on the house and the company I have asked to do the electrics said it would be wise to have one done (the property is 200 years old if that makes any difference). It seems like a good thing to have as "peace of mind"?

The house is detached, has 3 bedrooms, 3 living rooms, kitchen, 2 bathrooms, one utility room.

Cheers

Thats true, I do wonder though, if the company wiring the extension are hoping for a few remedials (or more!) :LOL: ,not that thats a bad thing having an installation thats 'satisfactory' on the whole is better than having one thats been extended for example, via a separate fuseboard for the new circuits, etc, leaving the old installation as it is.

while even if your existing wiring is a bag of ****, that shouldn't interfere with the extension wiring as long as they intend to supply it via new circuits (depending on state of play with existing fuseboard its possible an extra one might be required), the only exception to this is if you main bonding is below par (this would have to be brought upto spec before work could be carried out)

I'd ask the company what limitations they are planning to apply, you shouldn't have too many of them on a domestic, but you need to keep an eye on what they are intending, also the other thing is for that price, if anything turns out to be not straightforward (ie. to indentiify what a circuit feeds etc), then expect it to be code 3 (requires further investigation). Its not entirely a bad thing, there has to be limits on how far you go, just you need to clarify what you are getting for you money and bear this is in mind that differing quotes might differ in what they are offering

Sponsored Links
IMO £150 is reasonable for a full PIR. Don't forget the price includes generating a four-page report.

See here for details of what you should get for your money PIRs

Hi guys, thanks for your input.

One final question, which is hopefully a simple yes or no answer, should the guy carrying out the PIR test every single electrical socket and light fitting in the house?

Thanks.

Yes all sockets and lights should be checked, If not ,the one that wasn't checked would cause trouble, You can almost guarantee that.

Yes all sockets and lights should be checked, If not ,the one that wasn't checked would cause trouble, You can almost guarantee that.

If I had to test and inspect every item in an install I would want more than £150!

The entire installation should be visually inspected without dismantaling. You should do a random removal of covers of accessories.

The testing can be anything from 10% through to 100%, however, in a domestic install it would be common to test all circuits. If you do sample testing, the sampling percentage should be increased if faults are found (faults, not non-compliances found through inspection).

Obviously a PIR with a higher rate of testing is more valuable.

Right chaps, here's the situation.

Had the guys in Saturday to complete the electrics on the new extension. They replaced 2 old fuseboxes with a new consumer unit for the whole house (charge - £300, which seems fair) and then carried out the PIR (charge £150). I estimate the total time spent by both guys on the PIR was no more than 30 minutes - one testing the circuitry with his detection kit and the other taking down the readings. However, they did not remove a single socket cover on the old part of the house and only checked that electrical items (e.g. alarm clocks, tv, standard lamps etc) and the lighting circuit were actually working (i.e. turned them on and off). I guess they checked about 70% of the sockets overall throughout the house, but as I say, none of the covers were removed and furthermore, not one single ceiling/wall light was physically checked either.

He said he would prepare the PIR report and post it to me.

Can anyone tell me if this represents a full PIR? Am I about to be ripped off? Should I contest the bill?

Cheers guys.

Right chaps, here's the situation.

Had the guys in Saturday to complete the electrics on the new extension. They replaced 2 old fuseboxes with a new consumer unit for the whole house (charge - £300, which seems fair) and then carried out the PIR (charge £150).
I would normally do a quick PIR before changing
I estimate the total time spent by both guys on the PIR was no more than 30 minutes
That's a bit quick but I don't know your house
- one testing the circuitry with his detection kit and the other taking down the readings. However, they did not remove a single socket cover on the old part of the house and only checked that electrical items (e.g. alarm clocks, tv, standard lamps etc) and the lighting circuit were actually working (i.e. turned them on and off). I guess they checked about 70% of the sockets overall throughout the house, but as I say, none of the covers were removed and furthermore, not one single ceiling/wall light was physically checked either.

He said he would prepare the PIR report and post it to me.

Can anyone tell me if this represents a full PIR? Am I about to be ripped off? Should I contest the bill?

Cheers guys.

It is not the cost I would query but is the PIR full and complete. Many people have a PIR done to satisfy house sale or insurance and are not really worried about how good as long as they get the paperwork.

However to do a PIR on a test board for exam took 1 hour when everything was in front of me. I would say impossible to complete in half an hour. I would have said half a day more like it. Big house may take whole day.

I will look to see what others say as I was commercial not house electrician.

Our commercial premises had a PIR a few weeks ago, and it took them a good 5 hours. They took all the DB covers off and tested circuits, though some they couldn't test because the premises was trading. They stuck warning labels everywhere, went round unscrewing sockets, tightening terminals, inspected lighting junction boxes above ceiling.

2 years ago the company realised none of its 800 (at the time) premises had had a PIR for over 5 years, so arranged for every premises to be tested (for insurance reasons). But this was done in a hurry, a 2 hour job, check over the DBs.

You never know what you're going to get.

We used to get a full day to do a 10% test on those stores, and sometimes 2 days if it was a big one.

Thanks for your comments guys, very much appreciated.

I'm now waiting for the company boss to come back to me with his views on my observations ;)

They should also be giving you an installation certificate for the new work, you are getting this as well, yeah?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back