periodic inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello - Hope someone can help.

I have recently had a periodic inspection done on my flat with a view to rent the property.

The outcome was 'unsatisfactory', the main reason being is there is a lack of earthing in the lighting circuit.

Is it acceptable to replace all the lighting units in the flat with a class II type, as this type of unit does not require an earth? and would this action remove the item from the 'urgent' list? along with correcting the other urgent items I hope this achieves a 'satisfactory' result.

I hope I do not come across as one of those landlords that do as little as possible to maintain their property...I know what it feels like to be a tenant of such people.

I feel the solution is valid and most importantly safe. I understand this is not a complete solution however I plan to overhaul the entire flat in 2 years time and do not wish to rewire twice!

Thanks
B

Sponsored Links
I assume the current situation is that some numpty has installed class I fittings and thus its been coded a one?

Its the view of the ESC that a lighting circuit without any class I fittings (and a label at teh DB warning future numptys not to install any), is acceptable to leave on a short term basis if its unreasonable to re-wire at the time, such a circuit is still a deviation from BS7671, but definatly doesn't warrent a code one anymore... code two or four.

Remember nylon secrews in the plate switches

Is this the only defeat you have?, would you care to post the whole list including codes?

Sponsored Links
Bettle, you may find these interesting reading http://www.esc.org.uk/landlords.html

The problem with no earth in a lighting circuit in rented property is if the tenant takes it into his head to change light fittings. I would suggest that you do as you propose and make sure all accessories & fitttings are Class 2 and make it a condition of the rental agreement that the tenant must not carry out any changes or alterations to the electrical installation.

That will cover your *rse if they put in a metal light fitting and it goes live.

Adam – Thanks.. You’re correct, it certainly appears that way, the inspection identified a lack of circuit protective conductors to class one items. Someone at some point has installed metal light fittings and also metal light switches in some rooms. I too am a numpty for not getting the place thoroughly checked when buying it.

Thanks for the reminder regarding to the nylon screws.

Is there a way of knowing if a light fitting is double insulated by looking at it? I noticed there are metal light fittings available on he market that are double insulated.

The other items on the list included:

Code1:
- lack of earth bonding (gas).
- lack of earth bonding (bathroom).
- lack of 30ma RCD to sockets. (Apparently having a ground floor flat means any of my socket are considered to run out outdoor equipment).
- bare earth wires in accessories.

Code 2:
- No one means of isolation. (I believe this is due to an old isolation box, which is no longer doing anything, remaining on the wall).
- Light switch wires in white.
- Some neutrals in red.
- Incorrect fuse holder fitted to carrier.

Code 4:
- Main earth not to current regs size.
- Water earth bond not to reg size.
- Circuit chart not to regs (not sure there is one at all?).
- No ‘Do not remove earth’ warning label at main earth block.

Taylor

Thanks for the link. I’ve been trying to read up on as much as I can with regard to landlord and tenant contracts/agreements etc… and had not come across this one. I have come to conclusion that the tenancy agreement is something that should be heavily breathed over......Good Call.

I understand this is not a complete solution however I plan to overhaul the entire flat in 2 years time and do not wish to rewire twice!

Thanks
B

I have to agree with others. It's a re-wire before you let it out :cry:

Is there a way of knowing if a light fitting is double insulated by looking at it? I noticed there are metal light fittings available on he market that are double insulated.

Double insulated appliances all are marked with a symbol of 2 squares, one inside the other

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back