is this report fair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just got my domestic electrical periodic report back from the electrician for a rented proberty it last was done 4 years ago by the local authority and was OK now it as 11 faults and the summary of the inspection says unsatisfactory,,, 3 of the faults are high lighted as urgent
1 mains earth in 6mm
2 no rcd protection on sockets or cooker panel (likelihood of out side use)

3 no rcd protection or supply bonding in bath room(continuity test to high)
they seem very eager to Carrie out the work any thoughs on if it should have been found unsatisfactory???
the house next door is owned by the local authority and as no rcd fitted and i believe it as the same electrics as mine ?????

Sponsored Links
1 mains earth in 6mm

That should have been picked up on the last inspection.

2 no rcd protection on sockets or cooker panel (likelihood of out side use)

That should have been picked up on the last inspection.

3 no rcd protection or supply bonding in bath room(continuity test to high)

RCD protection for bathroom circuits was not a requirement when your last periodic was carried out, but there should certainly be supplementary bonding fitted. This should also have been picked up on the last inspection.

None of the above faults should be particularly expensive to fix. Your CU must already have RCD protection as there is no mention of lack of RCD on downstairs ring final, so adding it to the cooker circuit will be trivial.

EDIT: Not sure I understand your post. There is no RCD protection on the socket outlet on the cooker control unit, or no sockets in the house have RCD protection?

1) It depends on the size of the cutout fuse, but likely to be code 2. Should be an easy fix for a sparky.

2) Code 4. Not to current regulations, but does not necessarily mean the installation is unsafe.

3) code 4 again.

I would want the main earth sorting, and then be happy to put a satisfactory certificate on it if the faults you mention are all that is wrong.

I would advise that you remedy the other faults too, especially as this is a rented property.

item 1 is down as code2 he as also put the other 2 items down as code 2 ???it says no rcd on sockets or cooker panel ??

Sponsored Links
Seems reasonable

Agreed. Sounds as if you may have no RCD protection at all. If I were a landlord, I wouldn't even consider renting out a property without it, given that you are responsible for the safety and wellbeing of your tenants. This is not a personal dig at you, but landlords in general, as it never ceases to amaze what they will do to save a few quid.

I lived in a rented house that had a brown Wylex unit with the wooden frame and open back, They had fitted those plug-in MCBs but there was no RCD protection.
Dont think it had even been tested before i moved in.

regarding item 3 continuity test to high and bonding what dose this mean in plane terms??

There isn't an absolute need to have RCD, but as a responsible Landlord i would suggest that it is better if the installation was protected by one or more.

I dont know if this is applicable to you but I would always recommend that a rented property has MCB's as opposed to rewireable fuses.
At the time of testing, the correct fuse wire might be in place, but if a tenant replaces any fuses with the wrong type, it might render the install unsafe and you wouldn't know until there was a problem.

Supplementary bonding means adding a conductor between all of the 'earth' conductors that are within the bathroom e.g. earth on shower connected to earth on lighting. It is to provide additional protection in a location where a person may be naked/wet and at an increased risk from a shock.

Supplementary bonding means adding a conductor between all of the 'earth' conductors that are within the bathroom e.g. earth on shower connected to earth on lighting. It is to provide additional protection in a location where a person may be naked/wet and at an increased risk from a shock.

It's not just between 'earth' conductors, but between simultaneously accessible conductive parts (exposed to exposed, extraneous to extraneous and exposed to extraneous).

7777777, have a read of this:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...l_bonding:supplementary_equipotential_bonding

the report as no explanation why its high it may be that an old xpelair is fitted 240 volt but this is now disconnected,, the only other items are a shower and the light,,

It doesn't just cover the electrical circuits in the bathroom, it also covers things like metal water pipes, metal central heating pipes, metal building structure etc.
If the resistance between them is too high then it may go down as a fail.

a few of the other items highlighted are
4 installation in red and black core cable
5 main tails in 16mm
6 gas and water in 6mm
7 no sw wire on 2 strapping cables
8 no rcd (cables buried less than 50mm deep
all these down as code 4
this flat was built by the local authority 25 years ago nothing really as been altered and its identical to around 50 other proberty owen by the council yet reading the report its likely to go up in smok Any TIME

Oh good grief.

4) doesn't even warrant a code.

5) Probably no code, depending on cutout size.

6) code 4

7) code 4, but about a 2 second job.

8) Code 4. It would have complied when installed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back