permanent removal of soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we have a a soil pipe to the rear of the property the pipe that is not connected to anything but goes into the ground

we are carrying out building works and have removed it and shall re-install once the works have been completed

my question is as it is not connected to anything can we remove it permanently?

a bucket of water was poured down the hole which did not overflow at the time the man hole cover was removed and the water from the bucket did not go through the manhole :confused:

Sponsored Links
Obvious questions:
Are you sure you were looking in the manhole?
Are you sure it's not connected to anything?

definitely not connected to anything and had another person look in the manhole while i poured the water down

Sorry I missed out an important word in the previous post:
Are you sure you were looking in the correct manhole.
If it's a separated system you could have been looking in the surface water manhole not the foul water system.

This could be just a vent pipe to the foul water system.

You need to assure yourself that it is not connected to the system at the bottom.

Sponsored Links
the toilet and bathroom is downstairs to the rear of the property and flows through the manhole which we can see once the toilet is flushed etc

there is only 1 manhole in the garden nothing else

there is no odour coming from the hole where the soil pipe went into

Vent pipes may not be expelling air but allowing air in, or just allowing air to move.

This could be the vent pipe for the system

its a very long pipe for it to be just a vent pipe - its runs from the ground right up to the upper roof

so where did the bucket of water go through? :confused:

Could i use the hole to connect rainwater guttering as a drain for the rainwater?

we had a similar situation recently when we were having an extension built on the side of the house, where a soil pipe was fixed the full height of house but with no connections into it and well away from the kitchen and bathroom.

when digging out the foundatiosn, found a underground drainage pipe from a suface drain in the back garden, which this soil pipe was purely just venting on the drains way to the front of the house.

not at all obvious in terms of location and that the surface drain ran the way it did.

if the pipe has been put in place and there were no signs of were connections have been removed, likely to be a vent pipe for an underground drainage run

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back