soil pipe regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi mi first time on hope yous can understand what a whafle aboot

Reet i,am just messing aboot on mi autocad drawing what might be mi next house . Am not quite sure on the rules & regs as regarding where rainwater & soil go,s.

Mi question is on a new build do,s the rainwater come off the roof collected via standed guttering down to a trap-gully (this is the bit am not sure of )do,s it have its own 110mm brown soil pipe,and away to its own separate manhole. Or do's it just connect into the toilet ,bath,shower and sink below ground and all run in to one manhole as the site has 2 man holes which are separate

Sponsored Links
Storm and foul drains are usually kept wholly separate unless geography dictates that a combined system is necessary.

All rainwater is encouraged to drain on owners property via a soakaway. This is usually a 1.5m³ (no fines) rubble filled pit located 5m from any building or highway.

All stack pipes (foul) should terminate 900mm above any openable window in close proximity.

We like to collect the rainwater via a trapped gully so that all the rubbish from the roof is kept from going into the soakaway. However, this is not a regulation.

Any new additions to the existing foul system should travel the easiest (straightest) direct route from new to existing. Geography usually dictates which existing inspection chamber you would cut into or whether you need to build any new ones, like where the pipe changes direction for example.

Current water regulations & by-laws mean you will almost certainly not be allowed to discharge surface (rain) water into the foul (sewage) drain system. Your area may have a separate surface water drainage system but you most probably won’t be allowed to make any new connections into that either but you should check with your local water authority.

For surface water you will need to construct suitably sized soak aways (size & location dependant on roof area) & run separate pipe work into each. Access covers (manholes) must be provided facilities to clear blockages from any section of pipe, at any change in direction (think your allowed 1 x 45 degree bend) or where the maximum permitted length of run is exceeded.

If your designing your own property, I would advise you read & understand the relevant Building Regulations before going any further than drawings for the outline planning stage;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/downloads

Happy reading ;) & please speak English, it makes it much easier for old farts like me to understand. :LOL:

still confused as i stated i have 2 man holes

1 is for soil
1 is for railwater

do i run separate 110 brown soil pipes
1 from all toilets ,sinks,showers ,basins dishwasher and washing machine

1 just for rainwater , that could run in the same trench as the soil then route off and into its own separate manhole

Sponsored Links
still confused as i stated i have 2 man holes
1 is for soil
You will be able to discharge your toilets ,sinks, showers ,basins dishwasher and washing machine into that.
1 is for railwater
You most likely wont be able to make any new connections for rainwater into that one but check with your local water authority.

do i run separate 110 brown soil pipes
Yes you need separate 110 soil pies for each

from all toilets ,sinks,showers ,basins dishwasher and washing machine
As above, discharge into the existing foul drain.

1 just for rainwater , that could run in the same trench as the soil then route off and into its own separate manhole
Yes you need one just for rainwater which can run in the same trench but;

Current water regulations & by-laws mean you will almost certainly not be allowed to discharge surface (rain) water into the foul (sewage) drain system. You may have a separate surface water drainage system but you most probably won’t be allowed to make any new connections into that either but you should check with your local water authority.

For surface water you will need to construct suitably sized soak aways (size & location dependant on roof area) & run separate pipe work into each soak away

Mutley_laughing.gif

As Ricci boy has stated you will be directed to use the soakaway method even though you have a separate storm system taking rainwater away from the property.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back