Permeability of hardcore

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi,

I'm planning a gravel driveway and am unsure about the drainage requirements.

The land has exceptionally good natural drainage thanks to very sandy soil and being located on the crest of valley. As a result there's no need for a soak-away as long as the water can get to the soil.

If I build a concrete rimmed driveway with a 20 cm thick layer of hardcore (0/25) and 3 cm of decorative gravel on top, will water be able to pass through the hardcore into the soil underneath? Otherwise I was thinking of giving the hardcore a gentle slope and on the lower side leave a gap which is filled with 10-22 gravel which the water could escape through (see image).

Does this make sense or is it madness?

30iakir.jpg

Sponsored Links
You'd ideally use type 3 as a permeable base. That is what would would be spec'd as the sub base for a permeable paving system.

Type 1 is actually permeable just not as free draining as type 2 or 3. The problem with type 3 is that it has some large stone in it and can be difficult to compact well without heavy duty equipment like a vibrating roller. A normal vibrating plate would not be up to the job.

In my opinion if the sub base is free draining your 0-25 will absolutely be fine. If you can get something like 0-50mm it would be better.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the helpful replies. I had a read through the paving expert website and it only briefly mentions permeability, however it's still a very useful site.

You'd ideally use type 3 as a permeable base. That is what would would be spec'd as the sub base for a permeable paving system.

Type 1 is actually permeable just not as free draining as type 2 or 3. The problem with type 3 is that it has some large stone in it and can be difficult to compact well without heavy duty equipment like a vibrating roller. A normal vibrating plate would not be up to the job.

In my opinion if the sub base is free draining your 0-25 will absolutely be fine. If you can get something like 0-50mm it would be better.

This is good to know! Unfortunately I already have the 0-25 on site so it's too late to switch for this project. I'll go for 0-50 next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back