Permitted development and second storey - 2m of boundary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of clarity here - we're buying a house with planning permission existing for a 8ft x 30ft single storey extension across the back but we'd like to add a second storey and extend a bedroom upstairs - which we're wondering if we can do it under PD.

Both sides of the house are within 2m of the boundary with approx. 1m spare on one side (side access) and a bit less on the other.

My question is, if the second storey is more than 2m from the side boundary, but the ground floor extension is within 2m, is the entire thing caught by the "max eaves height 3m" rule thus ruling out the second floor?

Or is it just that any part of the extension within 2m of the boundary can't have an eaves height above 3m? But once you're 2m away, you can go to the full height of the house?

Difference is, the second storey would be in the middle of the house (approx. 3m from boundary each side), and we want the ground floor across the entire back (so within 2m).

Any clarity greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Richard.

Sponsored Links
A common sense reading of the rules would indicate that as long as any eaves that were within 2m of a boundary were not more than 3m high, then it would be p.d., regardless of the height of any eaves which are more than 2m from a boundary.

Unfortunately, common sense rarely comes into the p.d. rules, and in this case, all of such an extension as you describe would be caught by the rules.

This nonsense is put forward in the Government's Technical Guidance

If you are wanting to do that under PD, you would have to re-apply for the whole lot. When I say re-apply, I mean if you are thinking about submitting a Certificate of Lawfulness application to have the PD works confirmed. Reason being is that you cannot extend onto an existing extension under PD. By the way, remember PD only relates to the original house. It might be the way the agents' plan is drawn but is the Utility an extension? Under PD, a two storey rear extension can be 3m deep and providing you have min. 7m to the rear boundary.

The utility is existing, and the existing planning permission was to have converted it into a habitable outbuilding and install a window, which they've done.

Also permission given to install two bays at the front as it's fugly!

So we were hoping to use that permission for the front, and then PD a second storey in the middle at the back.

But sounds like I read it right, the whole thing is caught so it's either stop short of 2m on the ground floor extension, or apply to vary the permission... Mergh!

Sponsored Links
You can't mix an approved application and permitted development in the same build, so you'd have to finish the ground floor extension, then strip its roof off and put a PD extension on top of it

If you really want an extension under PD, you could go the potentially contentious route of one on that has a very high gable on one side (e.g. facing the neighbour's garden) and runs down in a continuous roof line, 90 degrees to the house's roof, to reach eaves that are not more than 3 metres above ground level, or maybe even doesn't have eaves if its roof plane can join entirely to the approved extension's roof plane.. See points 3 and 4 in this document: http://planningjungle.com/household...the-10-worst-permitted-development-loopholes/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back