Two storey extension

Hut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm really hoping someone can help.

We are planning on building a two storey extension in our back yard. We appear to meet all of the criteria set out in the 'permitted developments' guide, with the possible exception of this;

"If extension is within two metres of a boundary, maximum eaves height should be no higher than three metres to permit development."

In the picture below you can see houses A and B, the red box is where we wish to build an extension. There is at least 3m between our houses (building to building), however, the yellow box represents land that is shared between the properties.

i5do9t.jpg

So my question is, does our boundary extend into the area that is shared, in which case I think we're OK (distance is above 2m). Or, does the boundary only include land that is exclusively our own? In this case, I believe we would need planning permission because the proposed extension would be less than 2m from 'our' boundary.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well how would we know where the boundary is? You'll have to check your deeds or ask your neighbour. I would expect it to be in the middle of the space, presumably a driveway? But you would need to check. However:

In any case it appears that your proposed extension is also a side extension and as such needs to meet all of the criteria for side extensions too.

Specifically: Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.

Unfortunately some extension can be both a rear and a side extension at the same time so must meet the criteria for both in order to be PD.

Further reading here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/100806_PDforhouseholders_TechnicalGuidance.pdf Page 21 ‘Rear and Side Extension’ applies to you.

The boundary in this context is the property boundary not including the shared land i.e. a line between the shared drive and your house and garden.

Freddys bang on, your "rear extension" is classed as a side and rear extension. Even if that rear bit it is attaching to is not original (and the extension would be classed as purely rear from the "original" house) then you don't fulfil the distance from the boundary requirement across the whole extension.

This is assuming you are attaching red box onto existing rear extension / element of house.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone, what a helpful forum!

It looks like I'm going to have to do a bit of schmoozing with the neighbours!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back