Permitted Development - can neighbours object or appeal?

There you go again assuming the local planing authority and planing in general is logical and consistent!

Yes I agree with you entirely, that's the whole point of PD, however with the recent changes the wording of the act is nolonger as explicit and in fact introduces sentences along the lines of as long as it doesn't affect the amenity of neighbours....

Unless you live in a parallel universe where planners tell the truth and don't contradict each other, for the sake of F, get a bit of paper from them, its nowhere near as complicated as applying for permission*, anything else is asking for it

J

*(only because applying for planning permission is now so much more complicated!)

Sponsored Links
its nowhere near as complicated as applying for permission*, anything else is asking for it
Jeez if you think that applying for Planning Permission on a domestic extension is complicated one has to feel sorry for your clients. What a load of old crap.

I note you mention 'applying for' not gaining... ..jus' kididng. :D

I don't think either PD or PP is complicated its just a relative issue and I was referring to planning permission generally not simple domestic extensions.

I remember they once asked us to to a full street elevation for a dormer window loft conversion, then there was the Design and Access Statement for a roller shutter... ...even then its a conditional approval and guess what another application to discharge the conditions...!

;)

J

Sponsored Links
WoW I'm ill with the flu but I've enjoyed reading this thread! It's certainly cheered me up :D

Thought I was on some adolescence gaming website, for a moment there! :LOL:

This is the thing that confuses me about the CoL. The CoL applies to the plans submitted, so I have a CoL for a loft conversion that has not yet been built.

But who is to say that the loft conversion I actually build complies with the plans I submitted? Of course BC will check it but only from their point of view ie to check that BRegs are being followed. So who is to say that I don't for example go above the 50m3 limit I am allowed to expand the roof volume by?

Does anybody 'sign off' the CoL once the work is actually completed to confirm that what has been constructed is identical to the original plans upon which the CoL was granted? I presume not, and therefore this makes the CoL a complete waste of time.

The CoL does not therefore afford a future buyer of your property any protection. The CoL would have been awarded on a plan only, what you will have actually built may not have ever been checked. Therefore if what you built breached PD rights and if this ever came to light an enforcement notice could be served.

The vast majority of developments be they under PD or a full planning application are not checked but some are. But most people adhere to the rules.

Unless there has been a recent change, a dormer is not 'Permitted Development'. I thought it has to be Velux with the lowest glazing at least 1.7m above the floor.

Hi
Or neighbour has been granted permitted development, the plans are for building a dorm in the loft at the rear, we are a row of bungalows, so we would be over looked. Crucially, our deeds state that these properties cannot be built onto, and permitted development rules state that it cannot be granted to buildings built prior to 1948, ours are built in 1935, any advice as to where we stand and can object is greatly received.

Question. If the plans fall into Permitted development and have been granted, but the properties - bungalow- deeds state you cannot build onto the property, also permitted development rules apply for properties after 1948? Our property was built 1935, can it be objected by the neighbors

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back