Permitted Development - can neighbours object or appeal?

If you are sure it falls within PD then you can get on with it. Be sure it does though, and if any doubt speak to somebody that is used to and understands the rules.

Even if it is PD you still need to make a building regulations application.

bad advise....never just start a development without all the necessary paperwork in order and cover yourself. Otherwise it may well lead to legal costs and enforcement officers visiting your property, which just isn't worth the hassle.

Getting your paperwork and drawings in order is the most important aspect of any build, prior to finding a good builder or course... people tend to have the misconception that the planning and building regs is nothing more that an inconvenience and not a major factor, when its the key to the whole process.

paul

Sponsored Links
Hello.

The foregoing discussion is really interesting and helpful to me, someone who is looking to extend under permitted development rules after a couple of knock backs on previous planning apps for a rear extension.

I am pretty confident that our design complies with all the requirements of a PD for a single storey extension.

Do I still have to put in a planning application or get some other confirmation from the Council or can I just go ahead and start the work?

Apply for a certificate of lawfulness....cover yourself, don't run the risk of it being wrong and have an enforcement officer round.... ALWAYS COVER YOURSELF

Paul

I think people are getting a bit confused here and things are getting mixed up.

Let me help clear this up....

The purpose of permitted development is so people can “make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission.” Therefore if your development falls within the rules you do not need to apply for planning permission. (the clue is in the question)

As some wise person advised earlier; “Be sure it does though, and if any doubt speak to somebody that is used to and understands the rules”.

I think people are getting a bit confused here and things are getting mixed up.

Let me help clear this up....

The purpose of permitted development is so people can “make certain types of minor changes to your house without needing to apply for planning permission.” Therefore if your development falls within the rules you do not need to apply for planning permission. (the clue is in the question)

As some wise person advised earlier; “Be sure it does though, and if any doubt speak to somebody that is used to and understands the rules”.

Thats exactly right....as i said, a good architect will advise the best solution, etc.

But all things which fall under the heading of permitted development, be it class A or B require a certificate of lawfulness....these developments are usually extensions and the like....internal alterations don't require any type of planning application, other than building regulations, if any of the work is structural.

If anyone wants a copy of the latest PD guidelines, then please just drop me an email at: [email protected] and I'll forward it across to you.

Its my job, so i know whats, whats so to speak...... i deal with planning everyday (joy). :D

Sponsored Links
@ jeds,

cadvis3d only posted his last 4 posts to spam the thread, I agree entirely with you, I suspect it is cadvis3d who does not understand the rules.

@ jeds,

cadvis3d only posted his last 4 posts to spam the thread, I agree entirely with you, I suspect it is cadvis3d who does not understand the rules.

I'm not spamming....trying to help...

its my job...i fully understand the rules...by what reasoning do you believe i don't exactly?

@ jeds,

its my job...i fully understand the rules...by what reasoning do you believe i don't exactly?
You were spamming, you've had the link to your site removed in your last 4 posts. Why not use the Forum for means other than to promote your business?

@ jeds,

You were spamming, you've had the link to your site removed in your last 4 posts. Why not use the Forum for means other than to promote your business?

oh please.....lets concentrate on the subject... i wasn't aware it was a breach of any forum rules....its removed now, so lets just move on, forget about it and not blow it out of proportion...and i apologize for the error....

But if replying to multiple threads which are giving out incorrect or off the cuff advise is spamming, then i wont bother in future!....is that not what this forum is all about?....trying to help people?

@ jeds,

Ahh. The link was gone before I saw it.

But all things which fall under the heading of permitted development, be it class A or B require a certificate of lawfulness....

Boll ocks! A CoL is an option for cases where it's not 100% clear.

Its my job, so i know whats, whats so to speak...... i deal with planning everyday (joy). :D

Me too. Now I could say if you want help with anything else you're slightly confused about let me know. But I won't do that in case I come across as being an arrogant little prick.

Thing is cadvis there are a lot of experienced people and pro's on this forum and most of the advice is good. Sometimes there's a difference because there's more than one way to do something. And sometimes there''s a dissagreement because people have different opinions. But most people have respect for other peoples experience and knowledge and most are prepared to learn a thing or two as they go along.

We always advise to seek the LPAs confirmation that it is PD, some will have specific application procedure for this; sometimes we have to coerce them and point them in the the right direction though.

J

But all things which fall under the heading of permitted development, be it class A or B require a certificate of lawfulness....

Boll ocks! A CoL is an option for cases where it's not 100% clear.

Me too. Now I could say if you want help with anything else you're slightly confused about let me know. But I won't do that in case I come across as being an arrogant little p***k.

Thing is cadvis there are a lot of experienced people and pro's on this forum and most of the advice is good. Sometimes there's a difference because there's more than one way to do something. And sometimes there''s a dissagreement because people have different opinions. But most people have respect for other peoples experience and knowledge and most are prepared to learn a thing or two as they go along.

you are misjudged confidence for arrogance....and to judge me in such a way over a forum, when you don't know me is extremely un-professional.

everyone is learning all the time and i never pretend to know everything....I've just dealt with a lot of permitted developments and know how they usually pan out. To advise people to just go ahead and do something and not worry about it, cause it will 'probably' be ok is making a very big and often badly judged assumption....and we all know what assumption leads to. If someone wishes to build and extension then its always more favorable to apply for the COL, so to prevent any future backlash or issues from arising, which let face it is a major possibility.

thats my 2 cents anyway..take it as you wish....

Gggggaaaagggghhhh ...... who the hell bought the old "You should apply for an LDC for work which is PD" nonsense up again?

Why the hell would we have a system of presumed prior approval for certain work, preventing the need to seek permission and waste time and money (ie permitted development) .... and then have to seek approval for that work by effectively applying for permission (ie a lawful development certificate)?

A system like that already exists .... its called applying for planning permission. :rolleyes:

If it is PD it is PD, and the whole idea is that you are allowed to just build the damn thing without getting any approval or confirmation, and no-one can say a dickie or interfere

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back