Permitted development changes 2020

• Thread starter sodthisforfun
  • Start date
S

sodthisforfun

Wotchya

Can anyone help please? A local pub, listed building, conservation area have erected a huge huge marquee that is right against neighbours fences. Full of disco lights and as tall as the pub itself. It's larger than the pub too!

I know that the law surrounding buildings has just changed but does anyone know if this applies to conservation areas/listed buildings? The local council are now saying that it's legal.. he has no planning permission. I wouldn't have thought the changes would apply to protected buildings or areas.

Any advice really would be appreciated, thankyou.

Sponsored Links
It's not a fixed structure, so they can do whatever they want unfortunately.
Don't know if there's an exception for listed buildings.

It's not a fixed structure, so they can do whatever they want unfortunately.
Don't know if there's an exception for listed buildings.
Can they?
Under the rules last month, they can have a temporary building/marquee for 28 days without permission. I just wondered if that had changed.

Development is not permitted by Class BA of Part 4 if the land in question is within the curtilage of a listed building, but good luck getting the Council to do anything about it within 28 days.

Sponsored Links
Maybe a wedding is planned, or some other event. If during the day, wait for the speeches to start before a synchronised neighbourly lawn cutting and hedge trimming session. That'll make them think twice next time ...

Ha ha, no not a wedding. This is purely to get bums on his seats. He's been issued a community safety order already, basically an asbo, because of covid regs. He's ram-jammed to the hilt in a tiny pub with ibiza music playing outside. He's just trying to increase capacity of his druggy, fighting punters. While I'd normally have sympathy to any business who is struggling with covid, the guy is a nasty piece, threatening old ladies who live alone on the boundary so they wouldn't complain. We want him gone!

Sounds awful. Hopefully he'll go out of business now it is getting colder. Although he sounds the sort of person who would furlough his staff then make them come back if they want to keep their jobs.

Sounds awful. Hopefully he'll go out of business now it is getting colder. Although he sounds the sort of person who would furlough his staff then make them come back if they want to keep their jobs.

Ha, he had staff clearing the garden up over the summer... clearing the back of it that was full of rubbish and old trees, to extend the area. I wonder if they were furloughed?!

I hope he goes bust, I really do.

And... just had an email, the council have changed their minds and are issuing a planning enforcement notice to get the structure removed, but he will have 28 days to apply for permission/appeal. The guy from the council has pretty much said it's not going to be granted because it's in a listed building garden in a conservation area.. PHEW. While I know the landlord will fight and probably just refuse to take it down, I hope they issue fines large enough to ensure his takings don't cover it!

Cheers folks for your time to reply :)

can't blame a business for trying to make ends meet in such unprecedented times.
Quite agree, however:
While I'd normally have sympathy to any business who is struggling with covid, the guy is a nasty piece, threatening old ladies who live alone on the boundary so they wouldn't complain. We want him gone!
He is also ignoring all covid regulations, not caring much about his punters or staff.

well thats obviously totally unacceptable yes... but you can only imagine the stress he must be under.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back