Permitted Development for Outbuildings in a Conservation area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I live in a conservation area and want to build a summer house in our rear garden as a little play room for the young kids.

I thought I was ok on the permitted development side of things until I realised the additional rules around a 'designated area'. The one I 'think' I fall foul of is:
  • On designated land* buildings, enclosures, containers and pools at the side of properties will require planning permission. (*Designated land includes national parks and the Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, conservation areas and World Heritage Sites).
My house is a little odd as we have an extension (built by previous owners) that is connected by a walkway, and sits to the rear and side, of the main house.

I want to put the outbuilding as per the plan, outlined red (14.2m2 in size and under 2.5m in total height), but am I correct in thinking I actually need full planning permission to do so?

Welcome any thoughts on this as I only recently spent £600 and wasted 8 weeks (plans and app fee) for an application I never needed (despite the council saying so) so want to avoid a similar experience again.

Note the current front door is not the original location. It was on the side closest to the main road on the right, which I assume is the 'principle' elevation (moved when this extension was built).

Thanks

Outbuilding.jpg

Sponsored Links
Yep will need consent, caught out under Part 2, Class E.3 - Projects beyond a side wall fronting a road in a Conservation area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back