Permitted development - do I need architectural drawings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this has already been answered elsewhere but there seems to be ambiguity on this.

When submitting plans for a single story rear extension under permitted development - is there a strict requirement for architectural drawings? Or is the site location and block plan simply enough?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's PD there isn't a requirement for any drawings at all. If you have a builder you trust you can do the whole lot on a building notice with inspections. Risk is who is responsible if the BCO doesn't sign off the work done, hence to mitigate risk you can go the drawings route and get the design signed off by building control before you proceed. PD doesn't need planning (location/appearance etc), hence drawings need to show construction detail.

My recent single storey extension was done on a building notice with no issues, but my builder was trusted and well known to our local council BC.

If it's PD there isn't a requirement for any drawings at all. If you have a builder you trust you can do the whole lot on a building notice with inspections. Risk is who is responsible if the BCO doesn't sign off the work done, hence to mitigate risk you can go the drawings route and get the design signed off by building control before you proceed. PD doesn't need planning (location/appearance etc), hence drawings need to show construction detail.

My recent single storey extension was done on a building notice with no issues, but my builder was trusted and well known to our local council BC.
The application has been submitted under permitted development but is subject to prior approval - therefore I’d have assumed drawings were required?

Yes, you need to follow the submission guides. If you don't supply the correct information your application won't be registered until you do.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you need to follow the submission guides. If you don't supply the correct information your application won't be registered until you do.
Woody,

Thanks. My local authority is reviewed prior approval plans without drawings. The applicant has simply loaded an incomplete permitted development form, site and block location plans. No actual drawings. I assume this would fail if someone raised an objection?

Woody,

Thanks. My local authority is reviewed prior approval plans without drawings. The applicant has simply loaded an incomplete permitted development form, site and block location plans. No actual drawings. I assume this would fail if someone raised an objection?

The application won't get validated by the admin if it doesn't comply with their guidelines.

If it's PD surely it doesn't need an application....is it a Lawful development cert.

Building regs app is obv different.

If it's a prior approval 'application' then it needs to conform to the stipulated requirements

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back