Permitted development, planning app, appeal???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have made a pllaning application for a single storey rear/side extension - as shown below.

The neighbours have written strong letters of objection. Does this affect granting of the planning application?

One of the complaints I'm worried about is from Neighbour 'A' since they have a side kitchen door (pink) and Neighbour 'A' has complained about loss of light. Neighbour 'A' already has a kitchen window facing their garden which provides sufficient light. Should I be concerned?

The planning officer will be doing a site visit soon.

If the plans get refused then whats involved during an Appeal? Just wanto to get primed up.....

Sponsored Links
I have made a pllaning application for a single storey rear/side extension - as shown below.

The neighbours have written strong letters of objection. Does this affect granting of the planning application?

One of the complaints I'm worried about is from Neighbour 'A' since they have a side kitchen door (pink) and Neighbour 'A' has complained about loss of light. Neighbour 'A' already has a kitchen window facing their garden which provides sufficient light. Should I be concerned?

The planning officer will be doing a site visit soon.

If the plans get refused then whats involved during an Appeal? Just wanto to get primed up.....

Hi there...

the planning application will be assessed on its own merits. The letters of objection will be taken as material considerations by the planning officer. The weight that he assigns to these objections is completely up to him. And he is has the right to agree or disagree with the objections.

Looking at the plans the extension looks very substantial. Did you consult the council prior to making the application? I always recommed that you should speak to the council prior to the submitting an application.

If it were to be refused then there are several appeal routes that you could take. However you should read the planning officers report before making any decisions regarding further action. It may be more wise to redesign the extension.

One last thing... did you ever consult a planning consultant?

andymet87

If the plans get refused then what's involved during an Appeal? Just wan to to get primed up
It will depend upon the reasons for which it is rejected, some reasons are a lot easier to appeal against than others

Consequently as mentioned though
It may be more wise to redesign the extension.

What you can do though, is try to assess the planners thoughts as early as possible and keep contacting him until he is minded to make a decision one way or another (without peeing him off!). At that point you can then gauge how likely or not your Approval is likely to be successful or not. Trying to predict a Planning Decision is nigh on impossible in some situations.

freddymercurystwin";p="1638986 said:
What you can do though, is try to assess the planners thoughts as early as possible

Once you have had a chat with him/her and if it is looking like it will get refused. You might want to withdraw the application. This is why you should have a plannign consultant onboard as he/she would be able to advise you properly!

Sponsored Links
Planning officer said he needs to do a site visit to see if the comments are relevant.

What do you mean by a planning consultant? The drawings submitted have been done by an architect who says he has done this type of development before......

There is a difference between a planner and an architect. Many architects can also be planners, but many merely know the planning system.

A trained planning consultant would have advised you as to the best extension you could probably get permission for.

An architect may have simply just drawn what you asked for and know how to submit a planning application.

You have to be careful! For instance, a planner may have told you to keep the extension smaller / not to go all the way to each boundary / have a lower height / something else. He probably would have suggested you consult your neigbours prior to submitting the application to get their support. And if they didnt like the plans then he may have suggested minor amendments to the plan to keep the neigbours happy!

Obviously this is a vast generalisation but when doing an extension like yours that looks relatively contraversial you should have used a planning consultant as well as an architect! Just google "planning consultant near **YOUR POST CODE**" and you should get a few come up!

A quick search for london showed this one up... http://www.hollinsplanning.co.uk/da/101595

However, that said planning consultants can charge a bit! Just ask yourself whether the architect made suggestions to alter the extension based on getting permission, and didnt jus draw what you asked for!!

Hope this helps

nice one, but...

building regs and planning permission are completely different aspects of any development. In fact they are different systems. I am giving advise for gaining planning permission, something that has no bearing upon building regs!

Im a planning consultant just attempting my first renovation project! - hence my lack of building regs knowledge! Its like asking a divorce lawyer about land law, they wont know anything about it..! They look to be the same (Law), but in fact they are completely different!

A planning consultant would be an overkill for a little job like this.. worth having if your putting a Tesco's in a green belt and could have months of planning arguements before an agreement it found..

This is why you should have a plannign consultant onboard as he/she would be able to advise you properly!

Can Planning Consultant's "guarantee" an approval then? If so, that's where us Architects/Technician's have been going wrong.

Ok... PC's can offer advice, but cannot guarantee a successful outcome. However, an architect can also offer advice and design (for an all-in-one fee) and if the client/architect/agent had any doubts, then there's nothing wrong in seeking pre-application advice... i.e. getting advice from the LA as they're "professionals" who at the end of the day will be the ones deciding the outcome.

I myself would only looking at employing a PC for a large major scale development or a proposal that has been refused in the past with no clear/apparent way of moving forward, etc... because at the end of the day, it all comes down to money and it'd be another expense for that of the client.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back