Permitted Development Q's and 45 degree; rule

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I apologise if this posts seems a little 'daft' but I am struggling with a few things which hopefully someone will be able to help out with.

I have a 1920's detached 3 bed house, I am planning a double rear extension giving me a forth bedroom and kitchen diner.

I hope to extend out by approx 4.5m first floor, 5.5m ground. Same width as rest of house.

However I am unsure if planning will be granted due to this '45○' rule and the windows in the neighbouring properties. Basically the neighbours have side windows which my plans might block the light to.

I will still however be submitting plans.

Can someone please clarify 'permitted development' ? As I understand it, if I only came out by 3m first floor then my extension would fall into permitted development (everything else checks out, distance from boundaries etc) does this then mean that providing my build is within size limits it will be allowed (I.e the neighbouring windows not preventing my build)

Sorry to go on and on.

I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks guys

oh and I'm in Nottinghamshire if that counts for anything

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
For a two-storey rear extension to be permitted development, both ground- and first floors must extend rearwards by no more than 3m.

If any work falls under permitted development, neighbours have no say, regardless of their windows etc.

Where you live makes no difference to the p.d. rules - they are the same throughout the country.

What you are proposing would not be p.d. To stand a chance of getting it, you would need to build the ground floor first under p.d. and then, once completed, apply for planning permission for the first floor extension.

If any work falls under permitted development, neighbours have no say, regardless of their windows etc.
I know it's not relevant to the OP's Q about a 2-storey extension, but from a general POV that is incorrect. The temporary increase in size limits for single storey extensions is a change to the PD limits, and the neighbours do have a say.

On 9 May 2013, secondary legislation was laid before Parliament which will increase the size of single-storey rear extensions which can be built under permitted development, and will bring into force the associated neighbour consultation scheme.

Sponsored Links
I know it's not relevant to the OP's Q about a 2-storey extension, but from a general POV that is incorrect. The temporary increase in size limits for single storey extensions is a change to the PD limits, and the neighbours do have a say.

On 9 May 2013, secondary legislation was laid before Parliament which will increase the size of single-storey rear extensions which can be built under permitted development, and will bring into force the associated neighbour consultation scheme.

:rolleyes:

Good ol' BAS, he puts the P in Pedantic! :mrgreen:
I am right.

It really is that simple.

In my experience, people who complain about pedanticism are really complaining about truth, accuracy and precision because they are not interested in any of those things.

Good ol' BAS, he puts the A in Anal! :mrgreen:

Where have you been BAS? Or are you on restricted internet in the hospice?

I've missed you like a hole in the head! :p

1) Do you believe that at the moment the temporary larger limits for extensions are a temporary change to what is classed as Permitted Development? Yes or no?

2) Do you believe that at the moment if someone wants to build using the temporary size allowed then their neighbours are consulted? Yes or no?

Maybe not, but nevertheless do you believe that at the moment the temporary larger limits for extensions are a temporary change to what is classed as Permitted Development and do you believe that at the moment if someone wants to build using the temporary size allowed then their neighbours are consulted?

Nobody is doubting it you Plonka. However the point we are making and as usual you are failing to grasp is that your point is irrelevant to the thread.

You may as well have said that if I drop an orange it will fall downwards. Whilst it is true it is irrelevant to the thread. :rolleyes:

Can someone please clarify 'permitted development' ? As I understand it, if I only came out by 3m first floor then my extension would fall into permitted development (everything else checks out, distance from boundaries etc) does this then mean that providing my build is within size limits it will be allowed (I.e the neighbouring windows not preventing my build)

For a two-storey rear extension to be permitted development, both ground- and first floors must extend rearwards by no more than 3m.

If coop5 decides to do this in 2 bites - PD for the ground floor (which he can do at the moment for a 5.5m extension) then a subsequent planning application for the first floor, his neighbours will have a say about the PD part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back