Permitted development question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of building a timber double garage in the garden and intend to build to the maximum 30m2 (leaving a metre between the structure and the neighbouring boundaries).

I gather that if the structure is a metre from the boundary the maximum height permitted is 2.5m.

The question I have is this....

If the structure is a metre from the boundary does every part of it need to be no higher than 2.5m or could the ridge (dual pitch roof) extend to the max 4m if the said ridge is over 2m from the boundary if you get my drift?

Just to clarify that in this circumstance the structure needs to be a metre from the boundary as I haven't the space to build it 2m away and will measure 5.5m x 5.5m. The ridge will therefore be 3.75m from the boundary (1m boundary spacing plus 1/2 of the 5.5m width). The government portal doesn't seem to make it clear as to whether part of the structure can be built to the max 4m if that part is over 2m away!

Any guidance much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Within 2m of the boundary, you are restricted to a maximum height of 2.5m for all parts of the structure. This includes the ridge, even though the ridge will be > 2m from the boundary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back