Persistent cluster flies problem

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
We sustainably renovated the house a few years ago.
Prior to that renovation we had cluster flies in the attic, but they rarely made their way downstairs, so I pretty much ignored them.

As part of the renovation one of the two attics, was rendered inaccessible in the interests of ascetics.

Needless to say the cluster flies are now downstairs, and get worse every year.
Now they are regularly 6-8 of them buzzing around the house, before I get to work with a T-Towel.

We had a pest guy here in June, he sprayed all the Windows and Air Vents.
I wasn't here when the job was done - so I didn't get the full rundown of what treatments took place.
He said it was "sorted", charged me 300 euro and said he would need to return in September.

The flies disappeared for about three weeks and then returned to normal levels.
I contacted him, he didn't return the call.

So now I am back to square one, and 300 euro down and am looking for suggestions.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Solutions from the web.
  • Insect spray
  • ‘Citronella’ fragrance wick
  • Vacuum cleaner
  • Sealing all openings around doors, windows, eaves, pipes, electrical sockets…
  • Foggers (performed by a trained professional)
  • Smoke bombs (performed by a trained professional)
  • Electric fly killers
  • Fly boxes
Make sure your home is tidy and clean, cluster flies love food and drink spills, stagnant water, open rubbish bins and pet excrement. If you’re aware of having a cluster fly issue, install fly screens over your windows, to prevent them from making their way inside.

Solutions from the web.
  • Insect spray
  • ‘Citronella’ fragrance wick
  • Vacuum cleaner
  • Sealing all openings around doors, windows, eaves, pipes, electrical sockets…
  • Foggers (performed by a trained professional)
  • Smoke bombs (performed by a trained professional)
  • Electric fly killers
  • Fly boxes
Make sure your home is tidy and clean, cluster flies love food and drink spills, stagnant water, open rubbish bins and pet excrement. If you’re aware of having a cluster fly issue, install fly screens over your windows, to prevent them from making their way inside.
Listening to radio prog. on Friday suggests Citronella does not repell insects.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back