Persistant CH problems......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last year, we have had issues with our heating: We have an ideal standard boiler, nearly 15 yrs old, standard drayton lifestyle control timer, with a honeywell dgital thermostat in the hallway.

In Jan, the boiler would not fire up, although the "flame indicator" on the honeywell was displayed. The fan in the boiler was changed and this seemed to rectify the problem for a short while.

We did notice that the boiler would come on, but go off before the thermostat temp was reached. This is normally set at around 22-23 degrees, but as the weather was getting warmer, it was not an issue.

The control for the heating on the drayton is set to ON and the times & temps controlled by the honeywell.
The zones on the honeywell is timed for 0530 at 22 degrees, rising to 23 around 0730 with the lowest temp 19 degrees at 2345.

What has been happening is the mornings have been really cold on rising, with the boiler having been on at some point for a whlle but off when checked. According to the honeywell, the boiler should be on as the target temp is not reached. Increasing the temp on the honeywell made no difference. I tried switching off the boiler from the switch on the boiler, but it still did'nt fire up. It would normally be left in this state with the honeywell showing the target temp not reached and the "boiler on".

After a few hours, the boiler would then fire up!

As we have a service arrangenment with D&G, the following items were changed over the last month. First the pcb in the boiler - made no difference - still boiler starting then going off before stat reached target temp, the drayton timer changed - no difference, and finally the honeywell stat changed. This has made a difference, but now the radiator in the hallway does not get hot, subsequently causing the heating not to shut off as the target temp is not reached. Some rads downstairs are also now not getting hot, but upsatairs is fine.

The engineers that have attended do not seem to being doing any investigative work - is there something that they could be doing?
he did look at the valve and pump, but all was working ok then.

I'm getting really frustrated now as this has been going on far too long

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Reading some of the replies, I get the impression it is a numbers game. 'Service' chap gets the job. He gives it the minimum of attention as he has several other calls to attend and in some cases not keen to overexert as he will be paid end of the week anyway. While this is in no way the case with one and all, there is a group that is not mad keen to give the service that the end user would like to expect. Attended a call some weeks ago where a PCB and a gas valve were changed on a boiler that had nothing wrong with it other than the user worries about this and that. It cost her 500 'gold' tokens for being a silly woman.

My advise would be talk to friends, family and neighbours and call in someone that offers superlative service. One to go for is someone whose name comes up from different sourses.

While not mad keen to blow my own trumpet, attended a call to fix a problem on the system. Owners were having a house warming party. 10 people invited when talk of CH systems breaking down cropped up. 4 of the ten gave the host my number. Aforementioned is only an example- I am not suggesting (like some do) that I can fix every boiler everytime first visit- just am lucky most times with repairs.

thanks for your reply.
I'd rather stick with a service agent provided by the insurers.

Would you have any idea what could be wrong with my CH?

thanks

I'd rather stick with a service agent provided by the insurers.

Would you have any idea what could be wrong with my CH?

thanks

Well of course you would! You are paying for their service and you expect ( or hope ) that thay will sort out your problem.

The reality is that the kind of people employed by these firms have no interest in you or your problems and usually use the minimum of their often limited skills to get out of your house as quickly as possible.

Pretty obviously changing a stat is not going to affect individual radiators. In your case something has greatly affected the flow rate. Maybe he lowered the pump speed, partially closed a valve or anything else that has reduced the flow.

If you complain long enough and hard enough then eventually one of their bored employees will finally sort it out.

An independent on the other hand should have a reputation to uphold and should not be charging unless the prolem is fixed.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Pretty obviously changing a stat is not going to affect individual radiators. In your case something has greatly affected the flow rate. Maybe he lowered the pump speed, partially closed a valve or anything else that has reduced the flow.

If you complain long enough and hard enough then eventually one of their bored employees will finally sort it out.

An independent on the other hand should have a reputation to uphold and should not be charging unless the problem is fixed.

Tony[/quote]

Thanks Tony.

the problem with the rads only occured after the stat was changed.
I'll get onto domestic & general and put in a complaint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back