New thermostat not responding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have replaced a honeywell dial thermostat for a horstmann centurstate battery operated

was adivised by honeywell that wiring of the old honeywell wiring was as follows

terminal 1 is live

terminal 2 is neutral

terminla 3 is switclive

terminal 4 empty

to change over to horstmann was adivised by horstmann and on the forums to wireup horstmann battery operated as follows

horstmann centurstat 7

terminal 1 is live

terminal 2 is switch live

terminal 4 is neutral parking

after following the guidelines of wiring up

The thermsate is not switching on when i prograsmme the target temp

it is how ever going in a oppisite direction example if the room temp is 21 and i set target temp at 23 the state will not turn the boiler on for some odd reason when im sure the fact is the target temp that i set it to it should then fire up the boiler if the room is lower than the target temp which it is not doing hence room is 21 target temp is 23 no firing up of boiler

what it is doing is if the room temp is 21 c and i programe the target temp to 19 it will switch the boiler on

can anyone tell me the reason for the funny turnaround please

Sponsored Links
Hi i have replaced a honeywell dial thermostat for a horstmann

was adivised by honeywell that wiring of the old honeywell wiring was as follows

terminal 1 is live

terminal 2 is neutral

terminla 3 is switclive

terminal 4 empty

to change over to horstmann was adivised by horstmann and on the forums to wireup horstmann battery operated as follows

horstmann centurstat 7

terminal 1 is live

after following the guidelines of wiring up the thermsate is not switching on when i prograsmme the target temp

it is how ever going in a oppisite direction example if i programe the thermstate lower than room temp it will turn the boiler on

It is wired wrong. You have wired it as if it was controlling an air con unit.

Terminal 1 and terminal 3 are the only terminals you need to use.
As per the diagram in the installation instructions bottom of page 3 left.

Hi i have replaced a honeywell dial thermostat for a horstmann

terminal 1 is live

terminal 2 is neutral

terminla 3 is switclive

terminal 4 empty

horstmann centurstat 7

terminal 1 is live

after following the guidelines of wiring up the thermsate is not switching on when i prograsmme the target temp

it is how ever going in a oppisite direction example if i programe the thermstate lower than room temp it will turn the boiler on

It is wired wrong. You have wired it as if it was controlling an air con unit.

Terminal 1 and terminal 3 are the only terminals you need to use.
As per the diagram in the installation instructions bottom of page 3 left.

i thought the load heat was on terminal 2 am i not right which is what i have done? and was sure terminal 3 was load cool am i not right

then so why are you saying all you need is terminal 1 and terminal 3 please state your reason

im suprieed so please can you tell me how i have got it wrong and wired it like as if it was a air con unit from what i read terminal 2 is call for heat is it not?

so how have i wired it up worng?

and please kindly tell me how the correct wiring should be done

what does switch live goes in the horstmann

and where does the live go

and are horstmann not correct for telling me to connect neutral to terminal 4 but your stating i dont need it they state parking in terminal 4t

so why are you confusing me further

because you said no need for neutral they said in terminal 4?

i would really like you to put certain your answers if you could kindly

Sponsored Links
Sorry did I say terminal 3. Wasn't zoomed in enough on the installation manual.

Terminals 1 and 2. Terminal 1 is connected to the programmer heating on and terminal 2 is connected to the valve/boiler.

Installation manual can be seen here
http://www.horstmann.co.uk/download.../CentaurStat1-InstallationInstructionsMk2.PDF

You haven't got your lives and neutrals the wrong way around have you?

you got me really confused there before

well this is why i am asking here i have wired live to 1 switch live to 2 netrual parking 4

how would i be certain if i have lives and neutrals the wrong way round any way to test this without blowing the boiler

im just going by what honeywell and horstmann told me and why i need confirming honeywell told me

1 is live
2 is netral
3 is switch/live

horstman said
put live in 1
neutral in 4
and switch live in 2

how do i confirm what you are suggesting please

Terminals 1 and 2. Terminal 1 is connected to the programmer heating on and terminal 2 is connected to the valve/boiler.

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/download.../CentaurStat1-InstallationInstructionsMk2.PDF

well this is why i am asking here i have wired live to 1 switch live to 2 netrual parking 4

how would i be certain if i have switched them around?

Do you have a 2 port or 3 port valve? The diagrams in the installation manual are different for the two configurations.

how would i be certain if i have switched them around?

Do you have a 2 port or 3 port valve? The diagrams in the installation manual are different for the two configurations.

potterton boiler is that 2 or 3 vavle

is it not a case of switching switch live to terminal 3 even if the instructional booklet says 2?

is this worth a try?

If the wire on terminal 2 is connected to a 3 port valve (in the piping controlling central heating/hot water)
you don't need terminal 4.
If the wire on terminal 2 is connected to a 2 port valve (in the piping controlling the central heating) you need terminal 4.
If the wire on terminal 2 is connected straight to the boiler you don't
need terminal 4.

If the wire on terminal 2 is connected to a 3 port valve (in the piping controlling central heating/hot water)
If the wire on terminal 2 is connected to a 2 port valve (in the piping controlling the central heating) you need terminal 4.
need terminal 4.

thanks dcawkwellbut i not making any sense of this

come on geez i just need the heating on for the kids help us out all i know is it is a potterton boiler i not sure about the pirt 2 valve or the pirt 3 valave

im asking if you are able to confirm for me if it is a port 2 or 3 i dont know my self which is why i am asking your expertise

any way you can just tell me that wheteher i need neutral or not can i park it in 4 regarless?

as i oly going by horstmann told me no need for neutral so just park it in 4 they metioned nothing about 2 port or 3 port

do you not know for sure if i do need to put on the neutral so is that why is it cooling because of the neutral bieng in terminal 4?

is it right the way i have live in 1 and switch live in 2 with a potterntopn boiler

i just need to you for 100 assure me that my setup is right ifnot please just help me out

if it safe the way it is now even though it is working in revese?

need terminal 4.
You don't need a neutral at all with this stat. The 2-port valve will have its neutral wire connected to a local neutral terminal in the wiring centre. All the thermostat does is to switch the live to the valve motor.

Greentree
Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it ;) )? If so:
1. Measure the voltage between 1 and 4 - should be 240Vac all the time.
2. Turn the stat low
3. Measure between 2 and 4 - should be 0Vac
4. Measure between 3 and 4 - should be 240Vac
5. Turn the stat high
6. Measure between 2 and 4 - should be 240Vac
7. Measure between 3 and 4 - should be 0Vac

If any readings are incorrect the thermostat is faulty.

Sounds like you have a combination boiler so forget about the valves.

So all you need is terminals 1 and 2.

need terminal 4.
You don't need a neutral at all with this stat. The 2-port valve will have its neutral wire connected to a local neutral terminal in the wiring centre. All the thermostat does is to switch the live to the valve motor.

Greentree
Do you have a multimeter (and know how to use it ;) )? If so:
1. Measure the voltage between 1 and 4 - should be 240Vac all the time.
2. Turn the stat low
3. Measure between 2 and 4 - should be 0Vac
4. Measure between 3 and 4 - should be 240Vac
5. Turn the stat high
6. Measure between 2 and 4 - should be 240Vac
7. Measure between 3 and 4 - should be 0Vac

If any readings are incorrect the thermostat is faulty.

thankyou very much D_Hailsham now that makes much better sense

i really was wondering what dcawkwell was suggesting in his replies as far as i knew i was right no need for a neutral but he did confuss me a hell of a lot of what should have been a simple answer No this stat does not need a neutral and yes you can park it in terminal 4 after all dcawkwell terminal 4 is for parking but you seem to take me on a run about which is not on i will in furture ignore your replies because after all it should have been a simple answer after all

i did ask on countless times if this is why it would affect the way it was working in reverse order beacause of the so called neutral wire bieng in terminal 4 but no reply was given i have now found out with evidence from D_Hailsham that no it will not affect it and found out from another forum that terminal 4 on the horstmann is just for parking so no should not affect this issue

quoting D_Hailsham You don't need a neutral at all with this stat. The 2-port valve will have its neutral wire connected to a local neutral terminal in the wiring centre. All the thermostat does is to switch the live to the valve motor. quoting D_Hailsham

thanks saved me bieng sent round in a circle by various answers from dcawkwell

sorry drackwell but you really was not sure in your replies

D_Hailsham i think it is the state i will do the testing and return it if it is faulty for the time bieng is it okay to use as it is at the moment where the state is working is a reverse order and lowering the target temp seems to turn on the boiler

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back