Question: new boiler + stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just had a new Worcester boiler and Drayton digistat installed. I've set the temp for the central heating at 70 degrees.

I've noticed that if the room temp was, say, 18 degrees and I set the stat to a target temp of 20 degrees, the central heating will remain on until the room temp is about 19 or 19.5 degrees, after which the boiler seems to intermittently switch on and off. This means that sometimes the central heating temp doesn't reach 70 degrees.

Whereas, if I set the stat target temp a lot higher (say 24 degrees) the heating will remain on for longer and so the central heating temp of 70 degrees is reached.

My question is, is this normal? I assumed the booler would remain on until the stat target temp is achieved, rather than go on and off when that temp is almost reached. Could it be some type of energy efficiency thing?

Just want to see what someone on here thinks before I bug my plumber about it!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I would say that it is aware that its close to the target temp therefore rather than overshoot it is cycling until it reaches the temp required.
I think these sort of things are refereed to as 'learning'.
I'm not a heating engineer.
What I will

Google "proportional bandwidth"

Just did. So when the room heat within a certain % of the stat target temp, the boiler doesn't go "full on", it just keeps topping up every so often. So basically I shouldn't be concerned?

Sponsored Links
you are looking for a problem that doesnt exist, find something else to worry about

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back