Pesky Central Heating...

OK, thanks for that Dextrous. Will attempt that one tomorrow and hopefully I can get some heat.

Cheers for all the help everyone.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to use jubilee clips to hold the hose in place. And keep an eye on the FE tank in case it wants to overflow too quickly!

Ok - plan B. If you can get hold of a garden tap (one without the double check valve in it!) and remove one of the bleed plugs from the top of a radiator upstairs, then screw the tap into the radiator, then you will be able to connect a hose to this and a mains tap downstairs to enable you to force water into the pipework this way.

Thats a good idea dextrous, I suppose it will only work though if he has the modern radiators with removable 1/2" BSP plugs.

That isn't a problem. The new towel rad has just what I need.

Planning to give it a go this afternoon. Fingers crossed that I get some heating.

Sponsored Links
Just to let you know that the hose/garden tap solution did the trick.

The heating is back on and the Mrs is happy. :D

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

make sure you get some cleanser in the system sounds like it needs it ;)
Which involves draining the system enough so that the FE tank is empty, plus a bit more, wipe out this tank and add the chemical before releasing the ball valve into operation again.

Yep - all done. Planning to leave the cleaner in the system for a good few weeks (the bottle said it can stay in the system for up to 4 weeks) to make sure it gets a good clean.

Got a bottle of inhibitor on standby too for when the cleaner comes out. Hopefully that should do the trick.

Thanks again guys. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back