Petrol generators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a portable petrol generator with an engine that needs replacing (6.5HP engine & 230V/2200W output genny) is it economically viable with the price of small generators nowadays. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it is old & well goosed, replaced valves that were burnt out, it is difficult to start, the exhaust is shot & the main oil seal leaks badly. Definitely not worth spending any more time or money on. I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced replacement & wondered if others had any experience.

Sponsored Links
Many small generators use the engine bearings at one end and to swap type of engine is really not easy.

Where bearings are used both ends of the generator with a coupling then yes you could change the engine but holding petrol engines at a set revs is not easy. We look at a droop of around 5% which is not easy with petrol.

The newer generators are inverter types where the output is or is converted to DC then back to AC and the voltage and frequency is kept correct by the inverter and the engine revs can change with load.

Using this method the engine can idle when there is no load and uses a lot less fuel.

At 6.5 H.P it should be more like 4.5kVA not 2.2W. So I would question is it really worth doing anything with it? You may find a new unit pays for its self in fuel saving.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back