Petrol Generator Help

It could be just a bad connection in the blue socket. May be worth checking this first. A small 500 W /va gent will be more than enough for clippers, if you want to run small power tools like drills etc then go for something at least 1000w / 1kva.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'm going to ask a mechanic friend to look at it before I get a new one.
That sounds like an excellent plan - as flyingsparks has said, it could possibly be something very simple.

P.S. I bought a very nice little generator from either Aldi or Lidl (can't remember which - they're next to one another around here!) for an extremely reasonable price last year - and it's done quite a lot of work during that year!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You're trying to run a 45W tool on a 2kW unit. Have you previously had it working okay, but has now failed? Or has it never worked right? I'll suggest that the AVR may be struggling to regulate with such a small load. Try running a larger load, perhaps a 150W flood light and see if that is stable (pun fully intended)

Nozzle

I think these generators have two rotating fields and two output windings which can be connected in series or parallel to give 110 volt or 240 volt. From the volt drop I would assume one of the rotating fields is not connected could be as simple as a bad brush.

Looking at the Schematic Wiring Diagram I expect there is no AVR as such.

I worked with generators without AVR's on the Falklands and they had two resistors and two rectifiers one series and one parallel the parallel one small light was set up to give 220 volts no load and the other heavy one was set to give 220 full load but between no load and full load the volts would vary from 220 to 240 volts. This was good enough for lighting sets.

Yours seems to have a capacitor saw this system many years ago in Algeria never really worked out how it all worked but first step was to swap capacitor for known good one and that was often the fault.

The Schematic Wiring Diagram tells me very little but I would try capacitor first. Next is the rotating diodes.

It has previously worked fine. It just isn't kicking out enough power. The last entry is way too technical for me.

Eric is saying that one of the components called a capacitor on your generator may be faulty, causing the poor output voltage.

If you know anyone who is technical, it may save you a few quid to have it looked at before you ditch it for a new one.

Also, do you know what the frequency and waveform of the inverter output is, given that you're recommending it to power motors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back