Generator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Where I have moved to it seems that the mains is off for 20+ hours at a time (often), I am going to take this up with the REC but in the meantime I need to buy a generator.

I think about £ 80 seems a good price for a petrol one with 650 watts output, I want to run the central heating the fridge and a couple of table lamps with energy saving bulbs - the only thing I am unsure of is the likely consumption of the oil heating, does anyone have any estimates at all?

Thanks in advance, also comments as to if I would be better off getting a diesel generator instead and could I run it on the heating diesel, of course I know I can legally with regards to tax but is it wise, has anyone else done it?

Sponsored Links
This has come up before. Do a search and you can get the benefit of all the advice, including some which wasn't terribly sympathetic, IIRC.

The concensus was that you will have enough power to run the central heating off such a generator (connecting it is a slightly different matter), but fridges etc are more problematic, given issues like start current.

M

Thanks for that - I will take a search later, I could/may put the fridge on a UPS unit not only would that keep is safe (for a while) if we were out/away it would smooth any startup surges - getting the heating going would be the main bonus I guess :)

Little petrol generatos don't run many hours, I would be terribly worried about the fire risk of splashing petrol about, in the dark, next to my house and possily over a hot engine.

Sponsored Links
dmcclymont said:
Thanks for that - I will take a search later, I could/may put the fridge on a UPS unit not only would that keep is safe (for a while) if we were out/away it would smooth any startup surges - getting the heating going would be the main bonus I guess :)

bloody big UPS to take a fridge. they use a lot of start-up power, and could trip the UPS. even when the mains is on, your fridge can go off.

ban-all-sheds said:
BTW - should anybody care, installing a generator is notifiable...

Surely only if you install it in the Kitchen, Bathroom or next to your duck pond!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

'fraid not.

But you as long as it's wired with a changeover switch you don't need permission from the DNO. (Vague feeling that there might be an upper power limit, but it is very vague...)

B-A-S,

when you say "installing" being notifiable, I assume you mean if it's part of the fixed wiring? Or is having a generator and plugging a portable appliance into it notifiable? :eek:

M

No - simply having a generator and using it for a portble appliance is not notifiable.

Installing it to supply the installation in the dwelling is notifiable.

Temporarily connecting it to the dwelling installation via a plug & socket: ?? Probably not ??

The Contract you have with your "electricity supplier" may have a clause insisting you advise them of a Genny installation, IIRC they used to in the days when the DNO was always your supplier.
I always presumed that was so they could check your installation was properly isolated from their supply.
Nowdays ??

Nowadays? As long as you pay the bills....

I imagine the "Who TF is my DNO, and how TF do I get in touch with them?" works both ways now, and they no longer have a clue who their customers are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back