How much electric from a diesel generator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With diesel generators, how much electricity does it generate per litre of diesel? Here is the generator I'm looking at http://www.justgenerators.co.uk/hyundai-hy7000lek-avr-generator.html#.V4K45zXLU3g and I don't know how much electricity it will generate per litre of fuel...

It says it runs for 22 hours but is that 22 hours on full capacity (1 litre per hour consumption)? I mean how much electricity will I get for 22 litres?

It can support 5000 watts of electricity so 5kWh = 1litre of fuel?

Sponsored Links
Good adverts like this one state "The diesel should be automotive grade and consumption is 0.75L/hour at maximum output." but this is rather an expensive unit designed to power and heat in things like narrow boats.

I looked for a standard, there is a standard with cars, but I could not find one for generators. The advert starts be calling it a 6.25 KVA machine then says it 5.5 kVA so I would not go by what it says, as the supplier what it does.

With small generators the light load fuel consumption is also important, the inverter generators can tick over on light load and only hit full speed with full load, these generators are very good where you want a varying power output, with some generators they have a simple rev up when required, the volts are around 40 volt with 15 Hz until power is demanded when they go to 230 volt and 50 Hz.

The duel power generators some times do not have earth bonded to neutral but have 55 volts between earth and neutral one needs to be careful.

For continuous running with high load all the time diesel is great, but diesel revs up slower than petrol so for inverter types petrol is used, you can get inverter generators for diesel but these are designed to give 230 volt 50 Hz with multi-engine speeds when the engine also does something else like power a narrow boat.

they usually say "up to" in which case that would be a tank at tickover.

I would be very nervous of topping up the tank of a hot generator from a petrol can.

If you have a gas supply, you can get engines that run on it.

edit
too slow!

Sponsored Links
And it'll be as noisy as hell. Notice the dBa rating is at 7 metres. You'll need to pay at least twice that for a "decent" one

i would suspect under full load nearer 6 hours but thats fully just a guess

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back