Power cuts & Generators.

Or perhaps this? clicky Then I can charge up a couple of batterys and have two on standby? Would the oil fired boiler work on one of these?

Maybe, then again perhaps not. It's impossible to say without testing or speaking to the manufacturer. If you want to be assured that the boiler will function correctly then you will need a pure sine wave inverter. If you take a look on eBay then you'll see there's plenty to choose from on there right now.

However, as the batteries and inverter are going to set you back at least a few hundred, I can't understand why people on this forum are trying to dissuade you from buying a generator instead. The price would be about the same, you'll not have to waste energy all year round keeping batteries on trickle charge, there will be no batteries to replace in X years time, you'll get more watts for your money, and, unlike batteries, when the tank runs empty you can just refill it! What's more, models like the Honda eu10i are extremely portable and relatively quiet.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Or perhaps this? clicky Then I can charge up a couple of batterys and have two on standby? Would the oil fired boiler work on one of these?

Maybe, then again perhaps not. It's impossible to say without testing or speaking to the manufacturer. If you want to be assured that the boiler will function correctly then you will need a pure sine wave inverter. If you take a look on eBay then you'll see there's plenty to choose from on there right now.

However, as the batteries and inverter are going to set you back at least a few hundred, I can't understand why people on this forum are trying to dissuade you from buying a generator instead. The price would be about the same, you'll not have to waste energy all year round keeping batteries on trickle charge, there will be no batteries to replace in X years time, you'll get more watts for your money, and, unlike batteries, when the tank runs empty you can just refill it! What's more, models like the Honda eu10i are extremely portable and relatively quiet.

I agree with you, despite you coming from Lincolnshire :), I have found one on fleabay clicky What do you think? Seems to fit the bill.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I agree with you, despite you coming from Lincolnshire :), I have found one on fleabay clicky What do you think? Seems to fit the bill.

I wouldn't trust it as much as the Honda I mentioned previously, but for occasional use I'm sure it'll be just fine. The inverter output is sine wave as far as I'm aware, and a quick search on the old interwebs suggests that there are a few people using these to power their caravans with no problems.

I wouldn't trust it as much as the Honda I mentioned previously, but for occasional use I'm sure it'll be just fine. The inverter output is sine wave as far as I'm aware, and a quick search on the old interwebs suggests that there are a few people using these to power their caravans with no problems.

To quote from their advert "A lightweight, low noise generator with Pure Sine Wave Technology

Ideal for providing a ready source of electrical power when, for example, out camping, caravanning, or enjoying a boat trip. The 'Pure Sine Wave Technology' controlled electrical output ensures the delivery of clean & stable power - vital when running sensitive electrical and electronic equipment - computers and laptops, for example"

I think I will wait until after Christmas (risky) and see what the January sales have to offer. £269 is not a lot of money to you rich electicians but for me its a whole days wage (joking btw)

Anyway guys thank you for all the imput. Even though I did not understand some/most of the abreviations. Thanks to you I now know what I want and how to do it. Inverter Generator with Pure Sine Wave. :)

oh yes, a Merrry Christmas to one and all............ and if you are reading this at the hight of summer may I be the first to wish you a very merry NEXT christmas ;)

Sponsored Links
I just got a reply from Bosche "Dear Sir,

Thank you for your enquiry, because the appliance incorporates complex electronics, the inventor should be a true sine wave type. The appliance consumes 300w in normal operating conditions. This is a theoretical recommendation. We have never carried out any test work with such equipment, and hence we can not give any guarantee.

Kind regards
Technical Support
Worcester, Bosch Group
"

Better late than never :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back