Generator for log cabin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys have got a fair size cabin in the garden, at mo heated by elec heaters
(2 x 2kw) and is rather expensive to run through the winter months as this is my wifes hairdressing business. Was thinking of disconnecting from the main house or connecting to an auto swap over relay and running from a 5kva silent diesel generator. Also there is used hairdriers, straighteners lights etc. It would seem looking at our last winters elec bills it added about £100 a month to our bill, so I am thinking elec start silent generator run on either red or bio diesel (this would not run all day every day) MIGHT be cheaper than the grid. Am I woofing up the wrong tree.
All comments appreciated
dave :D

Sponsored Links
What is the cost of the genny? How much fuel will you use? You can work it out from there. :confused:

A few pounds spent on insulation and draughtproofing will bring you a better return than hundreds or thousands spent on a generator.

It's all tax deductible against the business profits anyway. You might consider a private meter so you can accurately state the cost of electricity.

if i remember rightly if you work out the maintainance costs fuel costs fetching costs[time and fuel used ] its close to twice as expensive as mains

look at the spec for the genny as in max fuel[capacity] run time at specific output [load] to work out litres per kw

Sponsored Links
  1. Insulate.
  2. Insulate some more.
  3. Insulate some more.
  4. Draughtproof.
  5. Get an air source heat pump.

ok looked at a good genny 9.5lL tank gives 45 kw so assuming 15p a kw thats £7 for 45kw whilst your cost off 9.5L off fuel will be a bit more unless less than 70p a litres thats without maintainance cost effort involved down time and noise

Using sterling engine generators with grid tie inverters as part of the central heating boiler is it seems one of the schemes offered under the same rules as solar panels and these super efficient near silent generators are also used in small boats. They can run on multi fuels including diesel but the cost of installation is huge and likely 25 years or more before you get your money back.

However electric heating is expensive and using other fuels for heating would likely drop the costs. Also hair dressing due to nature of work needs many air changes to dehumidify the area so insulation is not really the answer as you will have such a high rate of air change.

Google HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATION UNIT and see what you think? With these you get the air changes without throwing the heat away. I must admit I have wondered if one ran an engine and used the heat from the engine to heat the house something like the system used in canal boats how efficient would it be? One of the main things would be variable speed so the revs only rise when there is a heavy load. There are generators with switched mode inverters built in that do work at variable speeds. However again the price sores.

Travel Power and Powertek do the special variable speed alternators. http://www.forrestengineeringservices.com/ seem to be UK distributors but not cheap.

Because it is hair dressing it is a special case because of the ventilation required but I would be looking at central heating and or HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATION UNIT before thinking about a generator. Maybe an air conditioning unit is more appropriate but although I know hair dressing is special I don't really know the exact requirements.

Oh wow wasn't expecting these replies, thanks for the comments all much appreciated given me alot to think about
dave[/b]

Also don't forget once your local scrotes realise you have a source of free fuel outside the building they'll be there all the time filling up their tanks and if the genny is worth a few bob they'll take that as well

there are special regulations for storing large amounts off fuel so every other day visits to the garage are required without quite large storing costs
http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/fuel-storage[/QUOTE]
How does that square with domestic oil heating? Although most domestic boilers now use kerosene, some still use 'gas oil' (aka 'red diesel') and have 1000+ litre tanks in their garages/gardens.

Kind Regards, John

its a container designed for purpose not really sure how it works just pointing out the further costs and problems connected to the storage off fuel ;)

its a container designed for purpose not really sure how it works just pointing out the further costs and problems connected to the storage off fuel ;)
Just wondered - my neighbour has a massive great red diesel tank in his garage, about 50 metres from me as I type this! However, I'm sure the spirit of what you say iin correct - everyone I've known who has looked into the cost of generating their own electricity from petrol/diesel/oil, and have properly costed eveything involved, has concluded that it's cheaper (and much less hassle) to stick with the grid!

Kind Regards, John

Yep, if it was cheaper to generate your own electric from a generator then everyone would be doing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back