Is my electricity being stolen?

Thanks for all your advice.
I thought OFGEM were the regulatory body for the suppliers? Could they help?

Sponsored Links
Ofgen take a big interest in illegal abstraction when a meter is bypassed. Taking power from another persons meter is a form of illegal abstraction

Ofgen take a big interest in illegal abstraction when a meter is bypassed. Taking power from another persons meter is a form of illegal abstraction

How about Citizens Advice Bureau?

How about withholding rent? It takes many months and costs thousands to evict a tenant for this by which time you can find somewhere else and will have got your losses back.

Sponsored Links
Plaster your post on Facebook, that will get you letting agent in a sweat. Name and shame, you have all the evidence :D

DS

Says he's been to police and they said nothing illegal has happened, but I'd get a 2nd opinion! Maybe write to your MP and generally make a fuss on facebok, twitter etc, I suspect the landlord will re-offer the £1k if a bit of pressure applied! Absolute fkn chancer the landlord!

Have you considered going to the police?
I would think it's a viable and reasonable possibility, if the OP cannot negotiate satisfactory recompense from the landlord. It sounds like theft to me - the landlord has been knowingly diverting to himself monies which should have gone to the OP.

Kind Regards, John

Says he's been to police and they said nothing illegal has happened

Sorry, I missed that before.
Ridiculous response from police; clearly this is fraud if the description here is true.
Question is how important is it to remain in good terms with the landlord. If it were me, I'd be moving out tomorrow!

Says he's been to police and they said nothing illegal has happened
Sorry, I missed that before. Ridiculous response from police; clearly this is fraud if the description here is true.
Yes, I missed it, too. As you say, it's a ridiculous response from the police - to be generous to them, perhaps they did not fully understand what was being described. I agree that, if what's being described here (and, seemingly, admitted by the landlord) is correct, it surely must be a crime - be it fraud, theft or whatever.

Kind Regards, John

Ok update on the situation .
Landlord has been very evasive over last few days. But I think we may have a way forward .
Landlord has agreed to give us one months rent free (£550) which he says is over £100 more than he owes us!
I've asked what he is going to do about the ongoing issue of the supply for the flat upstairs going through our meter. He hasn't said yet.
I made some enquiries and was told that because we had a 3 phase commercial supply to the shop then that couldn't be used to supply the flat above on a separate meter. So it would need a new supply to the shop and that would cost around £1500 which I dont think the landlord would fork out.

There are legit ways around it. I don't see any reason why an electricity supplier wouldn't connect another meter

What should really happen is the landlord pays the full bill, and then bills you for your use, and the tenant above for his use.

Another option would be a coin meter upstairs and you collect the coin.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back