Opinions on switching from gas boiler to electric

Let's try again, heat only calculation for gas & electric, btw electric is 34p/KW capped not 38p, you've got that wrong:

GAS: 1KW =10p/h. 24KW Baxi boiler * 10p= £2.40 per hour

ELECTRIC: 1KW = 34p/h. For 3 electric rads of 5KW total * 34p = £1.70 per hour

Where am I going wrong?

PS. the old price of gas was 3.8 pence, hence my confusion mix up.
You're going wrong by assuming the boiler is outputting 24kWs. To produce the same amount of heat (assuming 90% efficiency) it would be using 5kW/0.9 * 10p = 55.5p/hr

Sponsored Links
Let's try again, heat only calculation for gas & electric, btw electric is 34p/KW capped not 38p, you've got that wrong:

GAS: 1KW =10p/h. 24KW Baxi boiler * 10p= £2.40 per hour

ELECTRIC: 1KW = 34p/h. For 3 electric rads of 5KW total * 34p = £1.70 per hour

Where am I going wrong?

PS. the old price of gas was 3.8 pence, hence my confusion mix up.
Your original spec had 2 x 3kw, 1 x 2kw and 1 x 2/1 kw rad so total load of 9 or 10kwh.
Let's assume your new 5kw is the heatloss.
Your Baxi can modulate down to 11kwh in heating mode. If the heatloss really is 5kw it'll be cycling a fair bit so it'll probably burn 7kwh to deliver that 5kwh load. Which is costing 70p per hour.

You're going wrong by assuming the boiler is outputting 24kWs. To produce the same amount of heat (assuming 90% efficiency) it would be using 5kW/0.9 * 10p = 55.5p/hr
Why are using 5kw in your calculation when it is 24kw boiler?

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure he doesn't care.

Turnover of tenants will be about 1 a year, after they've seen the size of the winter fuel bill.
I do care. Tenants can save by heating only occupied rooms.

Tenants in flats last usually 2 years in average.

As I said before, all new build flats and even houses don't have gas. I encourage green energy and urge forum members to follow.

Why are using 5kw in your calculation when it is 24kw boiler?
Because 24kwh is the MAXIMUM output of the boiler. As I've mentioned several times, your boiler can modulate (vary) it's burn rate down to 11kwh. If the heatloss of your flat is 5kw (that means it needs an input of 5 kW per hour to maintain a comfortable temperature) the boiler will only be running for about 30 minutes per hour to keep the place warm (assuming you have a room thermostat to control the thing)

Your original spec had 2 x 3kw, 1 x 2kw and 1 x 2/1 kw rad so total load of 9 or 10kwh.
Let's assume your new 5kw is the heatloss.
Your Baxi can modulate down to 11kwh in heating mode. If the heatloss really is 5kw it'll be cycling a fair bit so it'll probably burn 7kwh to deliver that 5kwh load. Which is costing 70p per hour.
So boiler will cost 70 p per hour

If only one room is used, will cost 2kw*34=68p

So you heat 1 room with electricity for what it costs to heat the whole flat with gas. Doesn't sound like a bargain to me!
By the way, before doing anything you need to do some heatloss calcs rather than hoping that a 2kw panel heater will be adequate.

You have choice of two fuels. Energy from one costs four times as much as energy from the other. You want to make your tenants use the expensive one. You don't care.
That's your opinion, we need green energy.

How about governments, builders... don't they care when building new homes without gas supply?

I don't heat my whole house when only me, I use 1KW fan heater.

There are ways to save money, don't judge people by saying such specially if you don't know them.

Last edited:

The cost will be proportionate to the energy used

When the outdoors is warm, less will be used.

For a short time each day, when the boiler is heating the radiator water from cold and the rooms from cold, it will use more energy than when maintaining temperature.

The cost of hot water will be negligible.

That's your opinion

No, it is pure fact.

You have choice of two fuels. Energy from one costs four times as much as energy from the other. You want to make your tenants use the expensive one. You don't care.

If the heatloss of your flat is 5kw (that means it needs an input of 5 kW per hour to maintain a comfortable temperature) the boiler will only be running for about 30 minutes per hour to keep the place warm (assuming you have a room thermostat to control the thing)
Doesn't the same applies to electric rads? I mean for 2kw rad for example, it won't be on for the full hour and hence your calculation should give lower cost per hour? The rads will have a thermostat just like room thermostat to control the thing.

Last edited:
Doesn't the same applies to electric rads?

Yes, except that energy from electricity costs four times as much as energy from gas.

You can't get away from that fundamental fact.

When the government decided that new builds would no longer have gas for heating they were under the illusion that builders would pay for very expensive (but green) Air Source Heat Pumps to heat the buildings reasonably efficiently using electricity. An ASHP in a well insulated new build might be able to heat the property for a similar cost to gas.

Builders want the cheapest option so if they have to use electricity for heating they will be likely to shove in some night storage heaters which are much cheaper to buy and install than ASHPs but are not cheap to run and are not green.

Using gas to generate electricity and then using that electricity in panel heaters to heat houses cannot be described as green.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back