will the service be man enough

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following on from a recent post a mate of mine wants to install convector heaters as his main source of heating he will be looking at
2 x 1kw / 2 x 1.5kw / and 1 x 2kw heaters along with a small fan heater or heated towel rail in the bathroom
Due to the fact he has only electricity at his cottage (no gas) he will also have electric oven and hob / emersion heater / w/machine (kettle, TV, lighting etc) maybe also electric shower.
With this entire load having the possibility of being on all at the same time ? “Possibly”
Will his service handle the load (60 amp cut-out)?
He has an overhead TT supply if that matters. And all on rcd.

Sponsored Links
Possibly not in the depths of winter if there is an 'average' family there at tea-time. Even if it lasts one overload of short duration the fuse will start to tire and will go eventually. A supply upgrade is in order if the intention is electric heating.

Thanks for your comments
He has thought of most options oil heating bottled gas etc and heat pumps but decided against them
As it will be for rental he is trying to keep the cost down and convector heaters look like the best option?
Is a service upgrade a big job? Or is it a case of getting the supplier to install a 100A cut-out?
It looks like whatever he decides to do if it’s going to be electric heating it going to be a big loading.
Just one last thought is electric under floor heating any good and what power will it consume over a concrete floor with quarry tiles over?
Is there no way to use convectors and split the load so everything will not come on together?

Sponsored Links
It is well worth contacting the DNO and discussing the load requirements with them, it may be an easy job just to change the cut-out and make 100A available.
This will, however, depend on the network feeding the cottage as that may be a limiting factor.

Make sure that it is the DNO you talk to not the supplier

By 'convector heaters' I presume you're referring to off-peak storage heaters. If that's the case, you're not likely to have everything on at the same time - unless you keep unusual hours.

By 'convector heaters' I presume you're referring to off-peak storage heaters. If that's the case, you're not likely to have everything on at the same time - unless you keep unusual hours.

By "Convector Heaters", I think he means "Convector Heaters", "Panel Heaters" etc.

I think this is the same guy that was weighing up his options with convector heaters vers storage heaters.

Tenants aren't completely stupid - they won't stick around for long if their heating is costing £250 a month to run. I'd try and convince your friend to install storage heating as a minimum. It provides a convenient workaround for the maximum demand issue, and will be significantly cheaper to run than on-peak convector heating, or UFH for that matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back