Opinions on switching from gas boiler to electric

Sponsored Links
That particular company has lied many times in their advertising and has been “done” by trading standards.

Electric boilers may be green at the point of use but they don’t mention that much electricity is generated by burning gas.

Sponsored Links
10kW of space heating for a 2 bed flat seems grossly oversized.
What is the heat loss of the property?
You are right.
Outside walls are solid no cavity, Upvc window doors, not insulated loft above.
Living room=17m2, bedroom1=13m2, bedroom2= 8.5m2
ceiling height= 2.6m.
probably 2KW, 2KW & 1KW will do?

For the water, I prefer one heater to do all 3 taps and with pressure, hopefully fit in same space where the combi is.

Last edited:
Do we take it that with all the good advice we have given you you still intend to get an electric boiler?

Your heating and hot water needs can only be satisfied by inputting energy from somewhere.
You can use gas, currently about 10p per kWh or you can use electricity, currently about 38p per kWh.
I don't know why you are paying for a service contract on the current system- most recent boilers have a significant (7 years plus) warranty. If the rads and pipework are the problem they will continue to be a problem with an electric boiler.
The favourite electric heating hook that is dangled is the running cost per hour. What they don't mention is you are paying that cost for every hour of the day (rather than the 6 hours per day you run the boiler for).
Changing to electric heating will quadruple your heating bills. Your choice but you'd be insane to do it unless you get free or very cheap electricity.

PS That water heater you linked to- have you ever tried filling a washing-up bowl or kitchen sink from an electric shower? I have, it takes ages (ok, a couple of minutes but it feels like ages to get a bowl full of washing-up temperature water) with a 9kw shower. The gas combi does the same job in about 15 seconds.
I have a 3kw instant heater in the garage sink- it is adequate for handwashing and that's about it.

Last edited:
Do we take it that with all the good advice we have given you you still intend to get an electric boiler?
For a 2 bed flat and landlord, yes:
1. My boiler is on the way out, going electric is a cheaper replacement.
2. saving of £350 a year in boiler care and gas safety certificate fees.
3. easier & cheaper maintenance, most can be DIY, no need for gas/electric registered to change a wall electric rad.
4. Greener energy.
5. It could be cheaper bills for tenants, only heat required room at a time, not the whole flat.
6. No need to change rads every 5 or 10 years due to corrosion.

I don't know why you are paying for a service contract on the current system- most recent boilers have a significant (7 years plus) warranty.
er for).
Changing to electric heating will quadruple your heating bills. Your choice but you'd be insane to do it unless you get free or very cheap electricity.

PS That water heater you linked to- have you ever tried filling a washing-up bowl or kitchen sink from an electric shower?
The Baxi 24he I have is more than 7 years old, since 2006.

I believe the Baxi 24he is 24KW, electric rads in rooms will be 2kw, 2kw and 1kw.

24kw Baxi will cost 24*3.8p= 91pence per hour

If Only one electric rad is needed, it will cost 2*10=20 pence per hour
Even if all 3 rads on, (2kw+2kw+1kw) * 10p = 50 pence per hour
Correct if wrong?

And as for the water heater link I posted, 13.1KW will be sufficient for a 2 bed flat which has 1 kitchen mixer, 1 basin and 1 shower, hope you agree.

Last edited:
I can 100% guarantee it will not be cheaper for the tenant...
And if you are changing rads every 5 years there are some other problems!
All new builds in UK don't have gas nowadays, flat renters are mainly professionals out 8am to 8pm and as said before only heating required rooms will save on bills.

And if you are changing rads every 5 years there are some other problems!
There are no problems, tenants take shower, don't open windows and the likes.....

I have changed one rad in my house due to corrosion in 20 years and that rad was in the bathroom when I bought the house.

For a 2 bed flat and landlord, yes:
1. My boiler is on the way out, going electric is a cheaper replacement.
2. saving of £350 a year in boiler care and gas safety certificate fees.
3. easier & cheaper maintenance, most can be DIY, no need for gas/electric registered to change a wall electric rad.
4. Greener energy.
5. It could be cheaper bills for tenants, only heat required room at a time, not the whole flat.
6. No need to change rads every 5 or 10 years due to corrosion.

The Baxi 24he I have is more than 7 years old, since 2006.

I believe the Baxi 24he I have is 24KW, electric rads in rooms will be 2kw, 2kw and 1kw.

24kw will cost 24*38p= 91pence per hour

If Only one electric rad is only needed, it will cost 2*10=20 pence per hour

Correct if wrong?

And as for the water heater link I posted, 13KW will be sufficient for a 2 bed flat, hope you agree.
The 24kw is the max output when heating dhw. So running the hot tap delivering 10 litres per min will be costing 4p per minute or 0.4p per litre (10p per kWh x 24 = £2.40 per hour/60 = 4p/min). Your electric thing delivering maybe 5 litres per minute will be costing £4.18 per hour /60 = 7p per minute or 1.4p per litre.
With your current combi a good satisfying 10 minute shower will be costing 40p max. The electric thing will deliver an average 10 minute shower for 70p.
You've got prices the wrong way round and your maths is suspect- 24 x 0.38 comes to £9.60 per hour not 96p.
Your electric heaters - the 2kws will cost 76p per hour, the 3kws £1.14 per hour.
Your existing boiler modulates down to about 11kwh so you can heat the whole flat for £1.10 per hour (assuming you've selected your electric rads according to the heatloss of the rooms).
Or you can heat 1 room with electricity for the same cost.
Hot water. The electric thing is adequate for a 1 bed flat. But that's it- adequate. Your existing boiler will struggle to run shower and kitchen tap simultaneously. Don't even bother trying with the electric thing.

Last edited:
The 24kw is the max output when heating dhw. So running the hot tap delivering 10 litres per min will be costing 4p per minute or 0.4p per litre (10p per kWh x 24 = £2.40 per hour/60 = 4p/min). Your electric thing delivering maybe 5 litres per minute will be costing £4.18 per hour /60 = 7p per minute or 1.4p per litre.
With your current combi a good satisfying 10 minute shower will be costing 40p max. The electric thing will deliver an average 10 minute shower for 70p.
You've got prices the wrong way round and your maths is suspect- 24 x 0.38 comes to £9.60 per hour not 96p.
Your electric heaters - the 2kw will cost 76p per hour
Let's try again, heat only calculation for gas & electric, btw electric is 34p/KW capped not 38p, you've got that wrong:

GAS: 1KW =10p/h. 24KW Baxi boiler * 10p= £2.40 per hour

ELECTRIC: 1KW = 34p/h. For 3 electric rads of 5KW total * 34p = £1.70 per hour

Where am I going wrong?

PS. the old price of gas was 3.8 pence, hence my confusion mix up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back