Opinions on switching from gas boiler to electric

Sponsored Links
Doesn't the same applies to electric rads? I mean for 2kw rad for example, it won't be on for the full hour and hence your calculation should give lower cost per hour? The rads will have a thermostat just like room thermostat to control the thing.
Depends what the heatloss of the room actually is. Bottom line is whatever the heatloss turns out to be you have to input energy to counteract that heatloss. An amount of energy delivered by burning gas will cost around a quarter of the same amount of energy delivered by electricity. Full stop. The end.
Yes you have some 'on' costs with gas - CP12 and servicing. They are both legitimate business expenses so you get at least 20% straight back.

Crack on, tell the tenants they will only be able to afford to heat one room in future.
Solid walls, no loft insulation and electric heating and hot water - you might struggle to achieve an EPC "C" and it'll be off the market in a few years.

Sponsored Links
Crack on, tell the tenants they will only be able to afford to heat one room in future.
Solid walls, no loft insulation and electric heating and hot water - you might struggle to achieve an EPC "C" and it'll be off the market in a few years.
Mmm, good point- no idea how well electric panel heaters and water heating score on an EPC. Wouldn't surprise me if they do quite well, wonder how you'd find out :)

An ASHP in a well insulated new build might be able to heat the property for a similar cost to gas.
I doubt that even. It would need a COP OF 3.5. Might achieve that in summer when not needed but in winter the COP would be considerably lower.

I get the distinct impression that, despite the title of the thread, opinions are NOT wanted on switching from gas boiler to electric.

Justification of a plan to avoid the cost of installing a proper heating system in favour of installing some cheap tat that costs a fortune to run seems to be what was actually wanted.

It would need a COP OF 3.5.
A COP of 3.5 is easily achievable, and the point at which the cost of using a heat pump becomes cheaper than gas is a COP of about 3.0, as gas boilers in real installations would be doing very well to be 90% efficient, and the price differential between gas and electricity is 3.3x

Mmm, good point- no idea how well electric panel heaters and water heating score on an EPC. Wouldn't surprise me if they do quite well, wonder how you'd find out :)

It's a (running) costs based assessment so electric sends you to the bottom of the class. My mum's just had one done to sell her house, the 40 year old cast iron gas lump got a "good" score!

Have you spoken with your EPC inspector yet.
Chances are replacing a gas heated system with electric heaters will, in the next couple of years, make your property unrentable.

Yartin does not want to hear that.

Can anybody tell him what he wants to hear?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back